Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan in LIMP MODE

Old 02-13-2006, 12:46 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan in LIMP MODE

I had recently bought a 97 carvan sport and it has gone into limp mode w/ codes p0733 -circuit mal. p0403-EGR p0134 o2 sensor, and p0700 EATX trans Controller module active fault....Ok so what is the easiest fix for this? I figured I would start by resetting the ECU and erasing codes and then driving it. If it goes into LIMP MODE again is there an easy fix for the Controller and about how much do they cost? I got this van fairly cheap and looks very nice. THe original owner thought the trans was bad but he must not have pulled the codes. So fingers crossed, Give me some info to get it back in working order.

Old 02-14-2006, 02:27 AM
stantheman
Professional
Default RE: Caravan in LIMP MODE

not sure about the p0733 one, most likely need a egr valve and an o2 sensor for the other two. the p0700 code is just a code to tell you there is something wrong with the transmission. im sorry but ive just recently got involved with trans. where i work and really dont know what fixes that one yet.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:49 PM
chopper
Veteran

I just had my Wife's 92 Caravan (3.3 eng) go into limp home.The trans was stuck in 2'nd gear and I figured it was done.The fix was to remove and replace the speed sensor in the transmission.The sensor that I replaced sits under the cooling lines that come out of the top of the transmission and cost $21.This is an upgraded part where the magnet is completely enclosed in plastic and is still stronger than the magnet it replaces.The battery,battery tray,and electric radiator fan must be removed to gain access but it's not major surgery.A 1 inch socket is needed to remove the sensor.
This has,so far anyway,fixed my trans.problem.
Repost and let us all know if this fixes your tranny problem.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:09 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Well, I reset and erased codes and still pulled p0700 and p0733 but it shifted from 1st and second just fine and when going into 3rd or trying anyways the cel flashed and pulled the same codes. So...Gear 3 ratio incorrect. What do I do know? I am taking it into a transmission shop and hopefully they will give me some clues as to wether its a cheap fix or an expensive fix. Any feedback would be appreciated but being that first and second were ok.... im not sure what the deal w/ 3rd is.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:09 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

BTW I changed the fluid and filter.

Old 02-15-2006, 01:46 AM
jeeper183

P0700 internal TCM failure, If this is a hard code (comes back after erased) replace TCM. NO OTHER diagnostic repair for this code. and then you can persue other code. note INTERNAL TCM problem will generate codes that may not be valid.

P0733 : Gear ratio error in 3rd, is set if the gear/speed ratio of the input RPM to output RPM do not match to the given ratio.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:19 AM
Chump
Captain

P0700 Information Code

The Transmission/Transaxle Controller monitors the malfunction of sensors and actuators relating to Transmission/Transaxle Control. If any malfunction is detected, they inform the PCM by sending a signal - By illuminating the MIL and by setting the P0700 code.

P0700 means that a code has been set in the Transmission/Transaxle Controller.

This code is for information ONLY.

If P0700 is present, check for Transmission/Transaxle codes.

The p0733 is usually a slippage problem or at least what the computer thinks is slippage. Have you have any problems since you changed the tranny fluid and filter?

Old 02-15-2006, 10:58 AM
jeeper183

Check the Global Good Trip Counter.
Is the Global Good Trip Counter 3 or less ?
All
Yes ® Replace TCM.
Perform Transaxle 41AE/TE Verification TEST VER-1A
No ® Go To 204
204 Write down and record all DTC’s and one trip failures.
With the DRB, erase DTC’s.
Follow the instructions below, and try to set the code.
Code P0700 - Turn the Ignition From Off to On. If no Limp-in occurs, start the
Engine.
Did the erased DTC come back ?
All
Yes ® Replace TCM.
No ® Go To 205
205 Inspect the following for pushed out terminals or flared connections: - Engine gnd
connections - TCM grounds (pins 53 and 57) - TCM battery feed pin 56 - Power feed
to Trans Ctrl Rly from the EATX fuse in the PDC - TCM Fused Ignition Sw Output
pin 11
Was a defective condition found?
All
Yes ® Repair as necessary.
No ® Go To 206
206 Connect the DRB to the Data Link Connector. Reconnect any disconnected components.
With the DRB, erase all Trouble Codes and set the Global Good Trip Counter
equal to zero.
With the DRB, display Transmission temperature. Start and run the Engine until the
Transmission is HOT (above 110 deg. F) CHECK THE TRANSAXLE FLUID.
ADJUST IF NECESSARY.
Road test the vehicle. With the DRB, monitor the Engine RPM. Make 15 to 20
1-2,2-3,3-4 upshifts. Perform these shifts from a standing start to 45 MPH with a
constant throttle opening of 20 to 25 degrees.
Below 25 MPH, make 5 to 8 wide open throttle kickdowns to 1st gear. Allow at least
5 seconds each in 2nd and 3rd gear between each kickdown.
If the vehicle is equipped with AutoStick, place the shift lever in the AutoStick
position and perform a complete upshift and downshift sequence.
Did the Transaxle function properly during the road test ?
All
Yes ® Test Complete.
No ® Go To 207
TRANSMISSION
P0700-INTERNAL TRANS CONTROLLER — Continued

Old 02-15-2006, 02:29 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

well...when I first cleared the codes and reset...i did the 1-2 upshift and into third it was severely slipping and the instantaneous CEL came on giving the same codes as previously stated. It then went into LIMP again and upon clearing the 2nd and 3rd times it was still in LIMP. So i dunno. There was metal material in the trans OIL but I dont think that would mess up the third gear ratio...or could it? There is well over a 100000 miles on this trans so w/ out taking it apart and diagnosing it this way I dont know how to fault the EATX controller if it is doing its JOB. W/ that said I dont know if I am better off rebuilding rather then blowing 240 dollars for a new PTCM and not solve the problem and just getting a new trans and having the extra trans If it ends up being the PTCM. Either way to diagnose i would have to take it somewhere and it would equal the cost of used trans @ the yard. If 3rd is bad its bad 1st and 2nd had no slippage i would thing it was doing its job. (sigh) i wish I knew someone or something that could do a cheap fix...but I got the van cheap so it will equal it out in value anyhow.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Chump
Captain

ORIGINAL: highrevr/tflea

well...when I first cleared the codes and reset...i did the 1-2 upshift and into third it was severely slipping and the instantaneous CEL came on giving the same codes as previously stated. It then went into LIMP again and upon clearing the 2nd and 3rd times it was still in LIMP. So i dunno. There was metal material in the trans OIL but I dont think that would mess up the third gear ratio...or could it? There is well over a 100000 miles on this trans so w/ out taking it apart and diagnosing it this way I dont know how to fault the EATX controller if it is doing its JOB. W/ that said I dont know if I am better off rebuilding rather then blowing 240 dollars for a new PTCM and not solve the problem and just getting a new trans and having the extra trans If it ends up being the PTCM. Either way to diagnose i would have to take it somewhere and it would equal the cost of used trans @ the yard. If 3rd is bad its bad 1st and 2nd had no slippage i would thing it was doing its job. (sigh) i wish I knew someone or something that could do a cheap fix...but I got the van cheap so it will equal it out in value anyhow.

Replacing the TCM wil not cure a mechanical slippage problem. All you will do is waste money and time. P0733 is a valid code and must be properly diagnosed first, before throwing electronic parts at it. This is a bad habit at the dealer as they always blame everything on the "computers" and charge you 5x what the repair should cost. You fix ANY mechanical/electro-mechnical problems first, this means the P0733 and if the P0700 comes back by itself then consider replacing the TCM. The TCM cannot compensate for badly worn/bad parts. P0700 is telling you to look for other codes FIRST and you have the P0733 as you can feel the slippage. You use the P0733 diagnostic flowcharts first, these will lead you to the problem. Also something else to remember, if the tranny was not properly serviced over the previous years and you changed the fluid and filter this could actually make the slippage problem worse. Although they have changed the design of the TCM over the years to improve shift quality and it's ability to learn the driver's habits, I don't feel this is your problem.

You could try some snake-oyl...a small bottle of LubeGard or something similar to make the clutch plates lockup better, go down to NAPA and ask. www.lubegard.com This is just another thought, you'll make the correct decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caravan in LIMP MODE