Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Door Ajar !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 11:00 PM
haizlid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Ajar !?!?

Hi folks, I'm new here as I just recently acquired a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L. I'm very much pleased with my purchase but there's one issue that I haven't been able to iron out. From the moment I first test drove the van it has had the "door ajar" indicator light always lit, along with the accompanying warning ding, & along with the dome lights always lit. So basically whether the van is off or on with all the doors firmly closed, the van thinks there's a door ajar. Actually the only time the "door ajar" light goes off is when I shift into REVERSE. I'm not sure why shifting into reverse would bypass the door-ajar warning when it stays lit in all other shifter positions, but that is what happens.

So, being the type to do research before asking for help, I've scoured the net to ascertain the problem and the corresponding remedy. I understand that it is most likely a faulty door switch, but I haven't been able to isolate it. I've unscrewed both front door switches and tested them with a voltmeter and found them to work properly. I've also performed the "penny" trick where I attach pennies to the inner-rear portion of the side slinding doors where the rear plunger switches come in contact with the side doors; but this did not fix it. I've also polished with steel-wool the contacts of the lower dual-plunger switches at the bottom-front areas of the sliding side doors, but this also did not help. I've pulled the center plastic inserts out of the front switches to elongate then but no good. I've simultaneously pressed in the switches on the hatch but no help (and I do not think it's the rear hatch as the rear-hatch-open light goes out when I shut the rear hatch).

So is there some other way to determine what the faulty switch is? Or is it a switch at all? Could it not be some relay or fuse? And why would shifting into reverse eliminate the problem? Boy I sure would like for someone more knowledgeable than I to answer those questions.

Well, hopefully one of you would be willing to help me out. Thanks in advance.

I did happen to find two other posts from different authors on the net that describe the same situation I'm encountering. It looks like there's something COMMON going on in the Caravan in each situation that's causing this. Unfortunately, as you can see, there's no help or explanation provided for our delimna. One thing we can rule out, with someone's assistance: can one of you with properly functioning "door ajar" conditions confirm or rule out that when you do indeed have a door open or ajar and you shift into reverse that the "door ajar" light stays lit? If it does stay lit and the dome lights do remain on, then that is the opposite of my condition and would suggest that there's more than a single faulty switch causing this... Thanks for any help.

http://www.rvmechanic.com/current_ca...read_full.html

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.p...++ajar++revers

Old 03-12-2006, 11:43 AM
greaseangel
Professional
Default RE: Door Ajar !?!?

I'm bumping this from page 2. I have the same problem, only it's ONLY when we've had a lot of rain. I've done all the things the above author did, and finally given up and taken to pulling the interior lights fuse when it rains. It killed my battery one day while I was running errands, and stayed in Wal Mart for 4 hours lol. Came back out, and had to get a jump to leave the place because the interior lights had come on and stayed on. Anyone have ANY ideas?

Old 03-12-2006, 10:12 PM
haizlid

Hi you might like to see how I resolved my issue at this site:

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72836

But the long and "short" of it is, you most likely have one of the wires that lead from your BCM to one of the four door-ajar plunger switches experiencing a short circuit to the body of the vehicle. The short circuit is most likely facilitated by higher humidity conditions. So, in other words, what probably happened is that one of the wires has gotten a worn spot on its sheathing and when liquid or higher humidity comes in contact with that worn spot it is causing an arc (or completed circuit) from the Body Control Module through the wire then jumping across at the worn spot on the wire (facilitated by rain water or humidity) and then to ground (a.k.a. the body of the van).

I was able to isolate which of the door-ajar wires was causing the short circuit on my Caravan, and was then able to snip the offending wire thus eliminating my problem. The loss of function on the passenger door's ajar switch has not been a problem for me.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:20 PM
greaseangel
Professional

Thanks, I'll get out there and hunt for a balding wire...just as soon as it quits raining. Which is liable to be July around here!

Old 03-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Radman
Rookie

haizlid, if you seen the problem when you test drove it, why didn't
you insist the owner or dealer fix it before you bought it?

It clearly sounds like a DC problem that they have no plans to
issue a call back for. Isn't that just nice of them?

I'm really leaning twords my wifes next Mini Van NOT to be
American made. Might as well try another make. Can't be made
any worse...

Old 03-21-2006, 06:20 PM
katykanuk

Hey Guys I have the same problem....the dinging is driving me crazy. Not only that but my cruise control no longer works and the buttons for A/C and air intake(?) Flash constantly.
My daughter broke the key in the ignition two winters ago and the mechanic had to take the dash off to install a new one (ignition) Anyway since then nothing has worked properly. I too have researched this and will try the few hints I have found. (Dodge Caravan 1997)

Old 10-23-2014, 03:01 PM
anna1441

2000 dodge caravan sport. power door lock drivers side sliding door clicks when driving. interior lights also flash. when i engage the power door locks from drivers door, all locks will lock except for drivers door. i manually locked the drivers side door and it all seemed to stop but then turned on heater and it all started up again. a short in the electrical system somewhere? where do i start to look?

Quick Reply: Door Ajar !?!?