Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dodge Caravan stuck in 1st gear or no gear when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 05:08 AM
techdrive
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Caravan stuck in 1st gear or no gear when cold

Hi,

My Dodge Caravan Minivan (1993) has a problem since yesterday. When cold, the transmission does not shift into the first gear. The rearward gear works fine though most of the time. Shifting from rearward to first gear does not work when the engine is cold and takes a long time (up to 10 seconds) after some minutes as soon as the car is half-warm. But it shifts quicker and it has nearly no problems after about 10-15 minutes. Then the car runs well. The transmission fluid should be fine - it does not really look used or dirty.

I disconnected the battery for tonight as some friend told me that this might help for some reason.

Does this sound like a transmission problem or is it more likely any kind of sensor problem? Why does the car run well as soon as the engine is warm?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-22-2006, 02:48 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: Dodge Caravan stuck in 1st gear or no gear when cold

Make sure the fluid level is up to the "full" mark.These are classic symptoms of low fluid level.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:28 PM
techdrive
Default RE: Dodge Caravan stuck in 1st gear or no gear when cold

For now it seems that this has solved the problem. The gears shift immediately without delay. I hope that nothing has been damaged due to a low fluid level. Thank you very much!

Quick Reply: Dodge Caravan stuck in 1st gear or no gear when cold