Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

00 Grand A/C Clutch ?'s

Old 02-22-2006, 07:10 PM
agrwife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Grand A/C Clutch ?'s

The A/C clutch locked up a month ago. A friendly mechanic disengaged the compressor, so I could run the defroster.

I elected not to replace the compressor, because the A/C has never worked since we have owned this van, plus it was going to cost around $2500 to have it completely fixed.

I did however, have the serpentine belt and water pump relaced(due to mileage 115k).

Last night we kepted hearing a noise, like a fan was hitting the housing.

At first they thought it was engine related, but once the belt was removed the noise stopped, so they suspected the water pump.

Now they are saying the compressor is still turning because the serpentine belt is still driving it.

Do I have to replace the compressor? Its going to cost be another $1000 bucks and the A/C still will not work.

Thanks

Old 02-23-2006, 10:25 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: 00 Grand A/C Clutch ?'s

Yes the pulley is still turning, not the clutch. What happened when you compressor locked up it overheated the bearing and now the bearing is bad. You are going to have to replace the compressor. Pick up a used one, you could put it on yourself, it isn't hard and if the AC doesn't work chances are the refrigerant is gone. You can get a pulley and bracket from the dealer and eliminate the compressor all together if you don't care about the ac. Just get a bracket and pulley for a minivan without ac.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:54 AM
agrwife

Thank you for your help. I wish I had known this yesterday. My husband could have done this easily before he left to go back to Iraq. I will go the cheaper route and just get the bracket and pulley for a minivan with out ac.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:26 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

Probably will be about the same price to go with a used compressor or buying the bracket and pulley.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:15 PM
agrwife

Its about half the cost, which includes labor.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:41 AM
Chump
Captain

Check out www.car-part.com for a used compressor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 00 Grand A/C Clutch ?'s