Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission Fluid--1997 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Alexandra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid--1997 Grand Caravan

I was in an accident recently (not my fault) and I had it taken to a Chevy dealer (please don't shoot me!) that was approved by the insurance company.

While my van was there it was discovered I had a nasty transmission fluid leak, unrelated to the accident (according to them). The only reason I had them fix it was because there was no way I was driving it like that.

I specified ATF+3. I told them that's what I want in there and they kept saying something about Dexron.

When I picked up my van they told me that they used fluid that's up to specifications. To me that was a roundabout way of saying they put in something that was Good Enough For Them.

Now I'm looking at my receipt and I see that they put down ATF+4.

Will ATF+4 hurt? Or should I get my transmission fluid changed? My van seems to be running fine...but the last thing I need is to have my transmission damaged because someone wouldn't listen to me. I mean, c'mon, my van, I should be able to have the right fluid put in it, right? [>:]

Old 03-04-2006, 01:06 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: Transmission Fluid--1997 Grand Caravan

Here's a great link to a lubricants site. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ Approved Chrysler trans. fluids will say so on the bottle.I don't know what was put in your trans. but with the problems that these transmissions have had I would be cocerned also.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:48 PM
HUEY420
Rookie
Default RE: Transmission Fluid--1997 Grand Caravan

atf+4 will not hurt the trans at all its a newer better fluid than the atf+3 many suggest to change fluid to atf+4

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid--1997 Grand Caravan