Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

01 Caravan Speedo bounces, Trans stays in 2nd, horn quit working

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
barmstrong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Caravan Speedo bounces, Trans stays in 2nd, horn quit working

It was a rough weekend, 2 full days with the mother in law followed by van problems on the 4 hr drive home and a tired/screaming 16 month old.

When slowing down, the transmission almost always bangs at 40 kmh (25mph) causing the entire van to shudder. I guess this is the downshift. Sometimes the speedo bounces during acceleration and the transmission won't go higher than second gear (80 kmh/50mph at 3500 RPM) When this happens, pulling over and shutting off the van usually corrects the problem. The check engine light is also on but when I did the self diagnostic using the trip reset, there were no error codes.

From the research I've done on the net, I'm wondering if it's the output speed sensor. Any thoughts?

Also, the horn has gone from a full blast to a sickly squeak over the past couple of weeks and now it has stopped working entirely. The wife says that the cruise control also quits intermittently although I have never experienced this problem myself. We have NOT had any problems with the airbag light so I'm not sure if this still points to the clockspring. Of course with all the other electrical problems we've had with this van, maybe the airbag light isn't coming on because it doesn't work!

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 06-12-2006, 12:43 AM
richardh05k
Default RE: 01 Caravan Speedo bounces, Trans stays in 2nd, horn quit working

I have a 98 Caravan and we had similar problems. I took the speed sensor out and it was covered with metal filings. Cleaned it off and didn't have any more problems in that area.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:14 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Hi, speed sensor is one possibilty, but i always question where the metal might have come from(enough metal to alter the sensors readings is not good and had to come from something wearing). The solenoid pack can also get metal in it and cause the same 2nd gear symptom which resets sometimes by turning motor on and off. It is odd that you are not getting a code if it went into limp mode. Your airbag light should come on briefly when the van is started. If it doesn't then I would look into a bad light and check on clockspring recall. As for the horn, feel around the horn for a pitch control screw and twist it. I had this horn thing on several 80's and early 90's dodges.... Good luck

Old 06-12-2006, 03:49 PM
shelbydodgeimp
Rookie

You might not get a code with the trans in limp, the TCM codes can generally only be pulled by a diagnostic tool, not the "key dance" with the ignition key.

I didnt catch what engine, trans or year this vehical is.

My money is on a bad speed sensor.

Metal shavings are always a big no no with the A604, alot of metal floating around is a sign of a dying trans. Now that is not to say the occasional debris, sludge, dirt, whatever in there is a sign of a dying trans, but when you drop the pan to do a fluid change you dont want the magnet to look like that magnet w/ metal filling expirement they show in elementary schools to describe magnetic poles.

A speed sensor would explain both the speedo bouncing and the limp mode (2nd gear only = limp).

The horn is most likely a seperate issue, have you checked all your fuses and relays yet?

Quick Reply: 01 Caravan Speedo bounces, Trans stays in 2nd, horn quit working