Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1997 Caravan electric/starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 04:23 PM
kingfan79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Caravan electric/starting problem

I'm not mechanically inclined, so I have absolutely no idea what is going on with my vehicle. It is a 1997 and has run perfectly up until mid summer last year. At first the vehicle wouldn't start. When this happened, all the lights in the dash were dead, as if no electricity were reaching them. Often times it would flicker on when I first tried to turn the ignition, then go off. Even the fuel guage would lay flat on the empty stick, as if I had no gas. This could last five minutes, ten minutes, or several hours. I'd had it sent to the shop several times, only to have the vehicle work fine when it gets there. The most recent problem (which has caused me to permanently park the vehicle), was an incident that happened when I decided to take a drive down to the bank. I put the key in the ignition and turned, and quickly noticed that the dash went dead again. At this point I expected the engine to fail (it always sounded as if it was about to start, but wouldn't). However, the engine didn't fail. It just kept on going, a thing which had never happened before. I shrugged and decided to make my way to the bank, dead dash lights and all. My speedometer wasn't working, gas guage wasn't working, temp . . . all dead.

At any rate, going down the road, the vehicle suddenly stopped changing gears. It would eventually switch, allowing me to eventually return the van safely to my home. There was a strange whine noise accompanying the lack of gear changing. There was no smell from the transmission, and my father checked the transmission and said that it is fine. All fluids were fine as well.

My father has guessed that the key may have something to do with it. It is the original key and is badly worn. I've noticed that when I try to manually unlock the doors with the key, the lock will come up and quickly go back down, keeping me from entering the vehicle. This is not an every time thing, but happens on a regular basis. The result is that I pretty much have to use the unlock button on my keychain. His guess is that the badly warn key is not being recognized by the security system--the one which came with the van--and is causing the locks to malfucntion, causing the dash to go dead sometimes, causing the problem with the vehicle not starting, and now this problem with the gear changing. As I said, it is a half-educated guess, based on a conversation he had with an auto technician where he works. Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.

This problem has put me out of work and has put my family into a severe financial crisis. I've got to get it resolved as speedily as possible.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Kolhoznik
Default RE: 1997 Caravan electric/starting problem

ummm...get a new key from the dealer. If that fails inspect all of the grounds and the battery posts...make sure you tighten them.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:07 PM
kingfan79

Could I just go to any dodge dealer? I bought it used, and I have no idea which dealership it came from.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Kolhoznik

Any dodge dealer...make sure you bring registration along as they will want the VIN and proof of ownership

Old 05-03-2006, 11:08 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Hi, I agree with Kolhoznik. I'd check your battery connections (physically remove them and clean both the post and connector) Then I'd start looking at other connections, the starter motor and such. Unless the van had some fancy security system, i don't think the key should be the culprit. Yesterday i grabbed the key from my 1994 Grand (without security) by and used it in my 1997 Grand caravan(with security) by mistake and it worked fine. Really sounds like an electrical problem somewhere in the ignition system...Good luck

Old 05-04-2006, 07:53 PM
vangonebuy
Rookie

A slight different idea.
It maybe the ignition switch.
We has recently had problems with the radio, gauges,etc. Engine starts and runs fine. Only at startup and not often.
I would try it and NO problem.
The ignition switch is faulty and wont turn back to the ON position after starting.
If you jiggled the key, It would make better contact and all would come on.

I never drove it far, so i cant coment on the trans. smell.
The key/lock thing....I dont know.

Good Luck
and post results.

Quick Reply: 1997 Caravan electric/starting problem