Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

How to remove spark plugs

Old 01-23-2007, 12:22 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to remove spark plugs

On the 97 3.3 you don't need to release the serpentine belt. Just remove the top 2 alternator bracket bolts and the bracket will pivot up and out of the way to get to #1. A ball swivel socket makes this a much easier job than the knuckle swivels you can buy anywhere.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:35 PM
dredwin
Default RE: How to remove spark plugs

I wish I had seen this site before I changed mine out a few summers back. I only had one car (the one being worked on) and ran into a bunch of issues (like trying to pull the spark plug wires off, I ripped the wire off the cap...had to buy new wires...but had to put the car back together...including a crammed together spark plug wire) and made it to the store...then i used spark plug pliars to pull one of the wires off, and snapped the whole top 1/4 of the spark plug off. It took me awhile and I thought I was going to break the van...but I survived and the van is running. But it was a major pain.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Tim Cooke
Smile Changing Plugs 2005 Dodge Caravan 3.3 L

Do this work with the engine cold from the top. No need to remove anything besides the plug wires. Use a standard 5/8" spark plug socket with 3/8" drive for the front plugs. Use a 1/2" drive, a 6" extension and a 5/8" deep well socket for the back plugs. The 6" extension and 5/8" deep well socket together measure 8 1/2" in my set. This is important because it puts you just over the motor and under the fire wall as you turn the wrench handle allowing a big stroke. The 1/2" drive is good because you can produce the needed torque with minimal force in this awkward position. All of the work will be done with your right hand reaching around the back of the motor. Do not use a knuckle or other flexible extention because you will not have your left hand to stabilize it. Changing all 6 plugs will take 15-20 minutes. I'm 5' 9" with short arms.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove spark plugs