Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1995 Caravan stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 03:24 AM
ve7dvb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Caravan stalling problem

I am mechanically inclined, though not an auto mechanic.
My 1995 Caravan has issues with the following:
on slowing down to make a left hand turn it sometimes quits with no indication on the indicator lights that anything is amis (no low oil pressure light or low charging rate). The only thing which alerts the driver is that the power steering fails. On shifting to neutral and starting the engine things go back to normal. This happens many times per day and sometimes at exactly the same location in the city.
Second issue is that the engine seems to quit when driving uphill. just like it is either out of gas or the ignition is turned off. No indicators showing. Sometimes the engine light comes on but the code only shows a problem with the oxygen sensor.
I have changed the fuel pump at 150K miles and it now has 300k. I have changed the fuel filter, the rotor, distributor cap and the throtle position sensor in hopes that any of them might be the source but to no avail. I have taken it to two dealers who tell me I need a new transmission?? but it is the engine which is having the troubles. I took it to a local service station and they hooked up a SnapOn computer code reader but as luck would have it no problem occured on the 1 hour test we gave it. Any suggestions or convincing discussion about why replacing the expensive trasmission would solve the problem?

Old 05-10-2006, 12:12 PM
chopper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1995 Caravan stalling problem

I say to look at the engine computer.These things can fail intermittently and exhibit the same problems you are having.

Quick Reply: 1995 Caravan stalling problem