Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Sway Bar Links

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:25 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar Links

Okay, 2 nuts, top 1 and bottom 1. Replacing sounds easy enough except for northeast rust. I've got the torx socket to hold the post and 18mm wrench for the nut and i've been hitting them with penetrating oil. Pretty sure I can get the top one off. Any clues or hints on the lower onebecause there is very little or no angle to get in from behind and lower arm is in the way. Wondering if there is a trick or technique ( i personally like most of the skin ON my knuckles)? Thanks

Old 05-18-2006, 12:52 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: Sway Bar Links

Bad weather and no time have delayed this project. Both lower ends of links (right an left side) are broken. Does anyone have a trick for getting the nut off the broken end. My problem is holding the ball to keep it from spinning while i try to loosen the rusty nut. Please , please, please, somebody else must've had this problem too...

Old 06-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Ted928

I used a torch to carefully melt them off.
If you don't have one, buy one or borrow. Otherwise, a muffler shop will likely cut them off for a small fee.
After I replaced them I learned that they were fine, it was the mounting bushings that were causing the noise.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Thank You for your reply Ted. Mine are actually broken on both sides where they connect to the sway bar. You answered my question, I actually figured i was going to have to cut them off. Uppers, I think i might be able to unbolt as I've been spraying them with penetrant for a few weeks. NY winter salt makes so many bolts difficult to get off..... Thanks again

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Links