Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Maintenance schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:16 PM
greaseangel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance schedule?

I just rolled over to 200,000 miles on my 97 C'van 3.0! Original motor, original tranny, all in good shape. So, what is the maintenance schedule for now? The owners manual is long gone

Another question: I need to change the tranny fluid. I think. I had one mechanic tell me do not change it unless the fluid is severely dirty looking or smells funny. Another mechanic told me to change it, but do not flush it. It's leaking at a rate of about 1/3 qt per day, so I know the seal needs replacing, so I will have to change the fluid. So, what's the deal with changing it or flushing it?

Old 05-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Kolhoznik
Default RE: Maintenance schedule?

Not answering your question, but if I was you, I'd start saving up for a new tranny. You were lucky right there

Old 05-26-2006, 12:38 PM
ASH
Veteran

That's a lot of oil leakage. Whatever seal is leaking, I would get it fixed. This might require dropping the pan, so you will have to replace the oil that is lost and you should get a new transmission filter as well.

For maintenance, basically you should follow the original schedule for up to 100K miles. Engine oil change every 3K - 5K, transmission oil and filter change 25K - 30K, coolant change at 30K, plugs and wires at 60K, etc.

You have a lot of miles on that old girl. Keep her maintained and hopefully you'll get a few more years out of it.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:10 AM
greaseangel
Professional

Ok, thanks guys. It's been too hot to get under the van until this morning. Most mornings I am out the door by 630, and don't stop running until 5 or so. The times when I can park it long enough for the engine to cool down some, the concrete is so hot if fries ya. So, I'm headed out there now

I changed the engine oil last week, the coolant was flushed and filled when the water pump and timing belt had to be replaced. Mechanic said it looked like the water pump locked up, and the tension was just too much for the timing belt lol. It snapped while I was driving in to town one morning. Plugs and wires have about 30k on 'em, so I guess all I've got to do is figure out this leak and change the filter.

Quick Reply: Maintenance schedule?