Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Tick and gurgle???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 11:42 AM
greaseangel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick and gurgle???

97 C'van 3.0 6cyl 200k
I've got a come-and-go ticking noise from the motor. A couple friends have said a Chrysler motor is like a Timex, if it ain't ticking, it ain't running. Is that about accurate? It seems I've read somewhere on here (can't find the thread now) that it is noise from the fuel injectors. At idle, it ticks. Most of the time it doesn't start the ticking until the motor warms up about half way, unless I start driving before then. While driving, it ticks until I get to about 25-30 mph. It's irritating, but it's done it for the last 100,000 miles, so I guess if it was something going out, it would have gone out already.

Ok, now, if I accelerate fast, like merging onto I40, I get a gurgling noise. The acceleration is good, but not great. Octane probs? When I'm in my hometown, I always buy my gas from one place, the Citgo in front of Wal-Mart, 'cause I'm always in Wal-Mart lol. When on the road, I always try to find a Mobil station (shareholder--thanks Grandpa) My gas mileage is ok, I drive about 75 miles in a typical day, 50 of those are highway, adn I go through about 3.3 gallons of gas a day. I'd guess pretty good mileage for the miles I have on it.
My mom gave me a bottle of fuel additive that one of her friends sells, Freedom Fuel Additive. Has anyone heard of/used it? Any feedback? It says to use 1 ounce for every 12 gallons of gasoline. Thing is, I can never afford 12 gallons at once. I work on a cash daily basis, so usually don't have more than about 50 bucks on me at any given time. To put 36 of that in the tank really isn't feasible at this time. If I could squeeze in 6 gallons, should I try a half ounce? I've never heard of this stuff before, so I'd really like feedback before I try it. It doesn't list ingredients, but says 'Warning: contains Petroleum Distillates and Xylene'

Old 05-27-2006, 02:54 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: Tick and gurgle???

There is an emissions device that is vacuum controlled (mine looks like the case for a cue-ball in pool and is located on the left as you face the motor). It ticks away there and is most noticeable at idle...totally normal , although is really most audible with the hood up on my 2 caravans. The injectors also can be notoriously clicky, again very normal. As for your gurgle, it does sound ignition (octane) oriented. When was the last time you changed the plugs. In recent years some fuel additives have come out that have a small amount of acetone in them. It acts as a cleaner and combustant and is important that it only be used in small quantities(more is not better with acetone). Check to see if this product has that in it. If it does have acetone, it has a benefit of increasing gas mileage somewhat significantly. The bigger trick is getting such a small amount of fluid in your tank....Good luck

Old 06-21-2006, 03:02 AM
rabtrfld
Default Freedom Fuel Additive

You can often discover product ingredients on www.msdsonline.com (Material Safety Data Sheets, free registration required). Try "WD40" for a laugh (basically mineral spirits and motor oil). I couldn't find "Freedom Fuel Additive", but Amway sells some "Freedom" synthetic motor oils. Got any more info on this stuff? CAS numbers on the label? I'm curious enough to check out some snake oil now and then.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:25 AM
greaseangel
Professional
Default RE: Freedom Fuel Additive

The only info I can find on the back:

Danger: Contains Petroleum Distillates and Xylene. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting, just enjoy the slow, painful death. (uh, that last part isn't really on there lol)

Dist. by
Access Business Group International, LLC
Ada, MI 49355

there's some numbers below that on the lable, 010729, and below the bar code E-8194, and on the bottle itself 5283CC9K. It's a 12 ounce bottle, one with a self leveling measuring cup between the neck and main bottle, one of those "squeeze the bottles"

I don't know where mom got it, and she ran off to Florida for 2 weeks with her girl friends, so I doubt I'll be hearing from her soon lol.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:46 PM
cobra25

where can you get the freedom fuel at? If anybody knows of a website or what store please let me know

Old 07-06-2006, 06:26 PM
greaseangel
Professional

I asked my mom, and she buys it from an Amway dealer.

Quick Reply: Tick and gurgle???