Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

98 DOdge caravan wont start when hot - help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:25 AM
Brighton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 DOdge caravan wont start when hot - help

98 Dodge Caravan runs great. Recently when I've been driving all over town (many stops and starts) - I'll go back to the van and it will turn over,start, and then die, turn, start, and then die, then nothing- no dash board light, no clicking, still have lights, but behaves completely dead. If I wait overnight (usually about 10 -12 hours) starts up just fine until it does it again. As its totally random its very inconvenient.

Garage has replaced starter (was under warranty so no charge) battery and plugs. Did it again last night so they took it today (of course it started right up this morning) They have been unable to reproduce the problem although they drove it all over today and ran it in the shop for an hour. They are loathe to change anything else (ignition switch/central control module?) unless they know exactly what it is. I cannot believe I am the only one with this problem - would really appreciate some help. Thanks

Old 06-04-2006, 02:15 AM
greaseangel
Professional
Default RE: 98 DOdge caravan wont start when hot - help

That's how my 97 acted when the fuel pump was going out. Caravans are notorious fuel pump killers. Thankfully though, a new pump is only about a hundred bucks, and it's an easy job to do at home in the driveway. I'm a girl and it only took me about 45 minutes Next time it won't start, disconnect the chassis fuel line, and have someone try to start it. If there's a very good jet of fuel, well, I'm wrong. But if it just trickles.....get a fuel pump.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Brighton

Would yours behave like this only when it got hot? That's whats so confusing. It'll be fine all day then as it gets hotter (weather) it'll just not start (after a few turn overs, catch, and then die) I'll have nothing. Come the following morning (or about 8 - 10 hours) it'll start right up again and drive just fine. It won't happen every day but enought that its a major inconvenience. Its been in the shop 4 times now and they can't reproduce the problem.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:44 PM
jhtopilko

Hot starts can be a temp sender issue many times. Does it ever smell flooded? If the ecu is being told the engine is cold when it is not, it'll inject the wrong amount of fuel when it is hot.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Brighton

No doesn't smell flooded - after the first time that it turns over, fires and then dies, I do try and bring the revs up the 2nd time after it fires but it just dies again. Then after that its always dead (no dash, no ticking - but have lights and horn) for about 8 -10 hours. Then its fine again - just a big pain in the you-know-where.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:21 PM
greaseangel
Professional

Mine would act like that, well, not the dash lights.... It would run fine first thing in the morning. It would drive until I stopped, then it wouldn't start again for a while. Simplest way to tell: next time it won't start, just whomp on the fuel tank with a rubber mallet and see if it starts. Or, turn the key and listen closely to see if you hear the fuel pump engage.

Mine ran like that about 2 weeks before the pump finally rolled over and died.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Brighton

Unfortunately its not the fuel pump - did it again- but it wouldn't start for a while. Its very strange it only happens when the engine gets hot (its worse when the weather is hot) once it cools down (usually 8 - 10 hrs but if I haven't been driving it too much it'll cool down sooner). Any other ideas appreciated.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:11 AM
greaseangel
Professional

Did you try the temp sensor yet?

Quick Reply: 98 DOdge caravan wont start when hot - help