Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 Caravan Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
3fingersalute
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Caravan Woes

Ok, I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan that has been acting up as of lately, here’s what it’s been doing:

For the past few weeks, the radio and fan will lose power intermittently, sometimes they will just blink on and off over and over again. The strange thing is that when they lose power, if I push another preset button on the radio while it’s off, it is on that station when the power comes back on, if that makes sense. In other words, its like the power is there, but the display and output isn’t. Anyhow, this is a very intermittent problem, and it comes and goes. I’ve checked all fuses, and they seem good.

Now today, it really started acting weird. The radio and fan are working fine, but the speedometer is not working (this has happened several times randomly during the last year), but also the transmission gear position indicator doesn’t have a box around the gear I am in, but rather around every single gear, no matter which gear I put it in, and I also have the error LED lit that indicates a vehicle error. Most importantly however, its acting like it’s stuck in 1st or 2nd gear when I put it in Drive, and it never shifts out of the gear that it’s in.

Does anybody have any ideas what might be going on here? I’m assuming I should get it in to be serviced, but money is tight at the moment and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! [8D]

Old 06-07-2006, 05:33 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: 2003 Caravan Woes

Hello. The symptom of being stuck in 1 gear is that it is actually only in 2nd gear which is Chrysler's "limp" mode to get you home. It is an indication of a problem and hence the "trouble light" led you have on. The other electrical problems sound like a bad connection or faulty bad 'shared' ground. If it was wipers and fan I would say HVAC controller, but the radio symptom is a different twist. There is separate power for the memory and clock features which is why those buttons seem to work even when the radio doesn't. Good luck

Old 06-07-2006, 05:38 PM
3fingersalute

ORIGINAL: floorslayer1

Hello. The symptom of being stuck in 1 gear is that it is actually only in 2nd gear which is Chrysler's "limp" mode to get you home. It is an indication of a problem and hence the "trouble light" led you have on. The other electrical problems sound like a bad connection or faulty bad 'shared' ground. If it was wipers and fan I would say HVAC controller, but the radio symptom is a different twist. There is separate power for the memory and clock features which is why those buttons seem to work even when the radio doesn't. Good luck
Thanks for the reply. Somebody else just mentioned this limp mode to me, so it looks like I need to get it to a garage and get it scanned; there isn't a way to access the codes otherwise, right? (I ran into a thread somewhere for an older model caravan mentioning holding something in to get a display on the odometer).

Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

I'm not sure on one so new, but here's a try. It'll either work or it won't. What you do is cycle the ignition key off to on 3 times in a row (without starting it) on the final cycle leave the key in the on position and watch your 'MIL' light or lights in that area.... They will blink out a two digit code with the twonumbers separated by a brief pause. blink pause blink blink would be code 12 and so on. Chances are one of the codes you might get will be 41 or 42 which I belive is a transmission fault code... Transmissions have their own controller and code set not available with this method. It will just tell you if it set a code for transmission, but you may have other codes in there too.....good luck

Old 06-07-2006, 07:19 PM
wraithyvan

I'm not sure on one so new, but here's a try. It'll either work or it won't. What you do is cycle the ignition key off to on 3 times in a row (without starting it) on the final cycle leave the key in the on position and watch your 'MIL' light or lights in that area.... They will blink out a two digit code with the twonumbers separated by a brief pause. blink pause blink blink would be code 12 and so on. Chances are one of the codes you might get will be 41 or 42 which I belive is a transmission fault code... Transmissions have their own controller and code set not available with this method. It will just tell you if it set a code for transmission, but you may have other codes in there too.....good luck
that worked great on previous year chryslers
same idea but slightly modified watch your odometer for a P code ie P001895 those P codes can be found on the web to what they corespond to ie miss fire on number 3 cyl.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:42 PM
3fingersalute

That worked perfect - and like wraithyvan mentioned, it actually displays the code numbers instead of blinking. Here's what it showed:

P1684
P1698
P0700

So I stopped by Advanced Auto on the way home just to be sure, and they scanned it as well. Here is what their printout provided:

DTC Codes

P1698
Manufacurer Contrl.
Auxiliary Inputs
Auxiliary Outputs

P0700
Trans Control Sys
Malfunction

DTC Pending (Codes)

P0500
Veh Speed Sensor A
Malfunction

P1698
Manufacurer Contrl.
Auxiliary Inputs
Auxiliary Outputs

Anyhow, not sure what exactly these mean, I guess I'll need to google them a bit, although the 500 code makes sense, as my speedomoter is not currently working.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:05 PM
3fingersalute

Could this code have anything to do with the speedometer not working, or the fact that I see some pretty hefty corosion around my battery terminals?

Old 06-07-2006, 08:12 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Glad to learn something new. I hope they cleared your codes while they were at it to see which ones reset. As for the SPeed Sensor code, that one can be a deceptive one as a pending code. There are a few factors that can pre-set that code such as the motor stalling. The bigger problem is the trans. controller code , that one could mean greater problems. Have you done a transmission service yet? If you have one done, make sure they replace the filter and don't just drain a few quarts and replace them (which is more common than you'd think ) A tranny service is a little messy, but an easy one for anyone to do for about $35 in parts (new filter an 5 quarts atf+4) One of the more common reasons for a trans controller code on caravans is due to the transmission shift solenoid pack giving a code. If a chrysler tech tells you these go bad all the time and just need to be changed , he's 1/2 right. They usually go bad from metal flakes plugging the screens in the pack. Chrysler was notorious for changing these and doing a service to get past the warranty term, because they would fail again from more metal. (I know this all too well!) Hope you have a simple problem and not the more fatal kinds I have had. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:39 PM
3fingersalute

Glad to learn something new. I hope they cleared your codes while they were at it to see which ones reset. As for the SPeed Sensor code, that one can be a deceptive one as a pending code. There are a few factors that can pre-set that code such as the motor stalling. The bigger problem is the trans. controller code , that one could mean greater problems. Have you done a transmission service yet? If you have one done, make sure they replace the filter and don't just drain a few quarts and replace them (which is more common than you'd think ) A tranny service is a little messy, but an easy one for anyone to do for about $35 in parts (new filter an 5 quarts atf+4) One of the more common reasons for a trans controller code on caravans is due to the transmission shift solenoid pack giving a code. If a chrysler tech tells you these go bad all the time and just need to be changed , he's 1/2 right. They usually go bad from metal flakes plugging the screens in the pack. Chrysler was notorious for changing these and doing a service to get past the warranty term, because they would fail again from more metal. (I know this all too well!) Hope you have a simple problem and not the more fatal kinds I have had. Good luck.
No, I have not had any transmission service done. At this point, do you think I should take it to a mechanic, and if so, should I go to a Chrysler mechanic only?

Old 06-07-2006, 09:37 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

I would perform a fluid / filter change(service) as a start. Seeing what is in the old filter or on the magnet in the pan can tell oodles. A 2003 might actually use atf+5 and it is worth every penny to use the right fluid. Don't let a mechanic tell you dex/merc 3 is just as good (I learned that lesson the hard way too) I just did my 97GC using +4fluid and it cost about $35. The only tools you will need are a 10mm socket and maybe a screwdriver , a large pan and ramps, (oh and lots of rags for what runs down your arms as you take the pan off (about 15 bolts (start from the back and work your way symetrically from back to front)). It is very easy and a shop will cost probably at least $100. AFter the fluid change have the codes cleared (or checked) if they have not been done yet. I usually let a problem try to resurface after doing the simple stuff. WIth a chrysler tranny (as a lot of the forums will show) is either gonna work great or cost ya. As for whether you go to a chrysler mechanic or not probably depends on how deep your pockets are and if you trust the local one to treat you right. ( Yes!!! I do have a sore spot left by 3 different dealers on 3 different problems)

Quick Reply: 2003 Caravan Woes