Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 tranny swap gone bad?

Old 06-08-2006, 12:23 AM
grumpy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 tranny swap gone bad?

Hey all, I just spent a lot of my time replacing the trans in this 96 caravan se. I followed all of the instructions (this is the 3rd tranny swap I've done...all different cars though), filled it up with ATF+3, had the trans quicklearned, and now there are some scary noises happening with only 50 miles on the trans. Whenever the car is coasting or decelerating it makes this brrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise that changes with vehicle speed. With the car on a lift and letting off that gas with the front wheels going 30mph it sounds like it's coming from around the differential. It makes the noise if you flat tow it too. Did I get a bum tranny or is there something I have forgotten? I don't think the motor mount could make noise that changed with speed like that. The driver halfshaft is new, but the noise is equally loud from both sides and definitely coming from the differential/side of the converter housing back there. Any ideas? I really don't want to pull it back out to get a new trans even if it is under warranty.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:11 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: 96 tranny swap gone bad?

I had a similar problem on my 91 GC with the converter rubbing against the tin shield that covers the access to the converter bolts. It was ungodly loud and resonated amazingly across the transaxle. Did you put in a torque converter? Good Luck

Old 06-08-2006, 06:05 PM
grumpy

I took off the tin cover to make sure that wasn't it. Noise is clearly coming from the differential. sigh.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:36 PM
grumpy

just curious, when I was installing it there was a little pressure on the passenger side axle as I was trying to line up the trans. Think that could have anything to do with it? All I had to do was turn it and it slid right in though. It's not like the weight of the trans was on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 tranny swap gone bad?