Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

How to know if correct fluid is in trans?

Old 06-15-2006, 05:57 PM
rastoma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to know if correct fluid is in trans?

I got a 99 Caravan 3.3L Flex about 3 weeks ago. It had 61k when I bought it. Everything is super clean on the car but I bought it from a dealer and they don't have the service records on it. Is there a way to tell if the trans. fluid has even been changed? And if it has, is there a way to tell if it's the correct type (I believe ATF +4) ?

The fluid is very 'clean' looking, meaning kinda clear with tint of red when looking at it on the dip stick.

The output speed sensor just went on it and when I replaced it, it had small silver dot on the end of the magnet which felt like graphite, not like metal shavings.

Should I replace the fluid since for the heck of it so I'll know it's the correct type? If I do, I'll need to flush it? I'm reading mixed comments about flushing the trans on this van.

I haven't even looked yet, but does this trans. have a drain plug? If so, it might be easier just to do two changes a few days from each other to replace all the fluid?

I'm just worried after reading how bad these transmissions are and want to do what ever I can now.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:06 AM
webbee
Professional
Default RE: How to know if correct fluid is in trans?

I would flush it with ATF+4 and then you know for sure what you have in it. I favor the remove pan (no drain plug), change filter, reseal pan with gasket, open the return line from the cooler, replace with clear hose, into gal jug, then fill the pan, start the car & go into neutral (done by assistant), adding fluid through the filler tube as it is drained out, until it runs clear red through the tube, shut down and replace the tranny line, start up and check for leaks method. That may take more than 4 quarts so have an extra empty gal jug and fluid handy. This was from memory and I may have omitted a step or three. Please search and read other descriptions of the process and don't take that wordy sentence as gospel. I'm just weighing in. You could install a drain plug to make the next change easier while having the pan off. I wouldn't do the change and then re-change a few days later, because there will still be 1/4-1/3 capacity of unknown fluid in the tranny. The full flush removes all the unknown fluid and replaces it with the best fluid. I would also add an aftermarket tranny cooler (bigger is better). These trannies are heat sensitive and it's just cheap insurance. Good luck with your project.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:03 AM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker
Default RE: How to know if correct fluid is in trans?

Bigger is not always better. These van are known for the cooling fan wiring and connectors to go out. The coolers go in front of the radiator, and when that fan went out in mine, I wished it was gone. You still need air going into the radiatior directly. The stock cooler is enough for these vans.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to know if correct fluid is in trans?