Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

On board diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:00 AM
Juanita
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On board diagnostics

Hi...I did the code thing and was wondering if anyone can tell me what error code 12 means.

Thank you!!

Old 06-20-2006, 01:14 PM
greaseangel
Professional
Default RE: On board diagnostics

Code 12 is "Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles."

Old 09-10-2006, 08:46 PM
MTRam

I get the MIL or CEL (Whichever you want to call it) only after the engine turns on. When I did the ignition trick to get the code, all I get is 55's, which according to allpar.com is saying the codes are done. Any thoughts?

Old 09-10-2006, 10:40 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MTRam, do you mean, as soon as you turn the key forward? Try this: turn the key to ON (not start) and leave it there. If the light goes on after a few seconds, this is normal. It's called the bulb check.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:50 PM
MTRam

DodgeRules86,

I appreciate you getting back to me so soon.

Sorry should have been more explanatory. When I turn the key to on, it performs the bulb check normally, then goes out. When I start the engine, it comes on and stays on. It is a 99 Grand Caravan, aprox 131k, I think the 3.8l, would have to double check on that.

In essence, the MIL doesn't come on until after the engine is running. Any ideas?

Old 09-12-2006, 07:49 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: MTRam

DodgeRules86,

I appreciate you getting back to me so soon.

Sorry should have been more explanatory. When I turn the key to on, it performs the bulb check normally, then goes out. When I start the engine, it comes on and stays on. It is a 99 Grand Caravan, aprox 131k, I think the 3.8l, would have to double check on that.

In essence, the MIL doesn't come on until after the engine is running. Any ideas?
I see. I would take it to an auto parts store and have them hook up their code reader while you start the vehicle up and see if they get anything.
I would also recommend browsing the TSB's .
You could probably go to a stealership and talking to an actual mechanic there, and see if you can pry some free information out of them. Let us know what you find.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:07 PM
MTRam

Exactly! What I mean is, yesterday, before I read your last reply, I went to Checker Auto Parts. They will run the scanner and print out the checks on paper for you for free. Turns out, it was the old gas cap trick. He shut the code off, and it has not come back on since. Thank you DodgeRules and Checker.

Quick Reply: On board diagnostics