Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

caravan, nasty sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:09 AM
pandorazboxx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caravan, nasty sound

hey guys, i'm new in here, my caravan has a 3.0L v6, like the one they used in the old shadows, i was wondering if anyone else had the problem where they get a horrible sound coming from the engine. it almost sounds like grinding or some metal gargling. my friend told me it was the wristbends or wristbands, he said that it happened to alot of these. I was just wondering if its true and if this has happened to anyone???

Old 09-07-2005, 10:27 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: caravan, nasty sound

Could be the waterpump, where is it coming from on the engine?

Old 09-07-2005, 08:11 PM
pandorazboxx

well, coincidently i am running out of water, keeps just dissapearing and i have huge puddles under my van...

its sounds like its coming from the left side of the engine, somewhere below the timing belt cover...

Old 09-08-2005, 10:13 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

Needs a waterpump then....

Old 09-08-2005, 09:35 PM
pandorazboxx

yea, i just took it to the shop and they said it needs a water pump, but they said i might as well change the timing belt while i'm at it cuz its got 140,000 on it and the timing belt is all around the water pump... they wanted like $500 to fix it. i think i can do it myself, anyone up here have a how-to for the v6? or could direct me to one.. please

Old 09-15-2005, 12:45 AM
hemipower1984
Rookie

i will send procedures to you tomorrow 9-15-05

Old 09-15-2005, 09:03 PM
pandorazboxx

you can email them to me @: pandorazboxx@gmail.com

That would be awesome man. I heard it was a real hard thing to do because you have to move the motor around to get it out...

Old 06-23-2006, 11:39 PM
rabtrfld

Hi, pandorazboxx, hemipower1984, still got water pump pix? I've got the grinding noise, & I'm praying for the puddle soon (just so it's not something worse!)
Any time you have a chance to change an old timing belt, do it! Better than having it blow on the road.

Old 06-24-2006, 02:02 AM
greaseangel
Professional

Yeah, my belt blew on the road Wasn't fun, especially in the winter, 15 miles from home, and 15 miles from town. So, smack dab in the middle of nowhere. Another thing you might want to replace while you're under there is the metal pipe off the backside of the water pump. They rust, and you'll just have to take everything apart again if it ever does. Fairly cheap part that could save you a headache later.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:17 AM
pandorazboxx

yea, i fixed that a long time ago. I actually messed up so i had to fix it twice. a lot faster the second time. That pipe you're talking about is a little harder to get out that just pulling it out and replacing it. I think you have to remove the intake manifold on top to get to the retaining bolts for that pipe.

I never took any pix of the water pump stuff. Some guy emailed me about how to change it if you need the instructions i might still have them in my email somewhere, email me if you need to.

Quick Reply: caravan, nasty sound