Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1998 3.8L stalls, now fuel relay clicking

Old 06-28-2006, 01:50 AM
cbrak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 3.8L stalls, now fuel relay clicking

I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L. The fuel gage began cutting on and off, setting off the low fuel alarm. I replaced the fuel pump, which fixed the fuel gage problem. But, the engine began stalling intermittently, regardless of whether it was at idle, low speed, high speed, or start up, hot or cold engine. Now just turning the key on (not cranking), the fuel pump relay starts clicking and I can hear the fuel pump whir/pressurize, but then the relay keeps activating on and off making the fuel pump kick on and off repeatedly. There are no error codes, and the fuel pump relay check was OK per the Haynes manual (resistance and continuity).

Ideas? I don't think it is an air leak since the fuel line does pressurize and I don't see fuel leaks. I even put the old fuel pump back in, but it still cycles the relay now and won't stay running.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:01 AM
greaseangel
Professional
Default RE: 1998 3.8L stalls, now fuel relay clicking

Did you take a different relay and swap their positions to see if that changed anything? Maybe there's a ground wire probelm somewhere?

Old 07-06-2006, 11:04 PM
cbrak

Sorry about the long delay. I mailed back the new fuel pump and was waiting on its replacement. I installed a 2nd new fuel pump and new relays for the fuel pump and the ASD (automatic shutdown) relay. The fuel pump relay and ASD relay cycling/clicking are less frequent. But, stalling is still frequent. When the engine does run, albeit for a minute or less, it runs smoothly before cutting out. Sometimes turning the key to crank the engine will not send power to the starter after it has stalled a few times.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:26 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm.. it could be a bad ground some place. I know on the trucks, the grounding for the ASD and fuel pump relay is controlled by the PCM, and I would not see why it would be any differant for the minivans.
It could also be a bad connection somewhere.
Another thing you might want to check out is the battery feed to the relays. On the early Dakotas, they had a problem where they wire from the battery to the fuel pump and ASD relay would go bad, causing somewhat similar problems.
Check the above, and connectors for bent pins, corrosion, etc.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:04 AM
cbrak

I've looked at the underside of the fuse/relay "rack" and also at the connectors for the PCM. All looked pristine. A neighbor tried his engine diagnostic machine and it initially gave a ASD ground missing code. However, after a short time the van became possessed and the headlights and instrument panel as well as other relays were firing off and on as well as making the diagnostic machine blink off and on. I'm in the middle of trying to purchase a PCM. It seems cheaper to purchase a PCM from RockAuto than it is to have the original PCM checked out.

But it turns out that the PCM is out of stock, so I have to send it in to get it rebuilt.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:00 PM
shaneship

I was just wondering if you fixed this problem with your relays. My 98 caravan is doing the same thing but when the fans kick on the relays start going crazy and the motor shuts off. It has something to do with the fans, but I have checked everything and fuses to no prevail. Please someone help if you find this post. I am new to this site and am trying to fix this van for my mom. Thanks

Old 08-01-2006, 09:18 PM
cbrak

After having it towed 2 times, the last repair shop suggested having it towed (3rd time) to the dealer. They replaced the cam sensor, crank sensor, starter, and flex plate - $1435 @ $97/hr. For some reason, they were able to get codes for the cam and crank sensor that other places did not detect. Replacement of the starter and flex plate sounded strange as the dealer heard symptoms of clicking at the starter and was able to hear the flex plate. When it was running for me, it either ran fine, or stalled. I didn't have starter/flex plate problems until after the troubleshooting. But, it ran fine from the dealer back to the house.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 3.8L stalls, now fuel relay clicking