Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:53 PM
skookill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic

Hello all, newb here. I know this has probably been asked a million times but the seach function wasnt working for me. Ive got a 2000 caravan with 69 k and wanted to know if it is a good idea to switch to synthetic oil. Brand recommendations? Thanks in advance!!!!!

Old 06-28-2006, 02:34 PM
ASH
Veteran
Default RE: Synthetic

Welcome to the site.

You can get slightly better fuel mileage with a synthetic oil. It has good wear protection and some claim you can extend the drain interval, thereby justifying the extra cost. Synthetic has been around for many years and I think has proven itself to be a good oil.

You shouldn't have a problem making the switch to synthetic at that mileage. I have a 99 Carvan with around 145K and a Spirit with 172K and switched both to synthetic on the last change. The Caravan is using, leaking, burning a little more oil than usual. The Spirit lost about a pint in 1000 miles, which is about normal for it. Synthetic oil will leak past worn seals quicker than conventional oil, so that is why some people will recommend against using it on higher mileage vehicles.

Pick your brand you are comfortable with. I use Wal-Mart's Supertech oil. It is API certified. Many people recommend Mobil One. For the price difference and the fact that it does have the API symbol on the jug, I'm switching all my engines over to the Supertech. At under $13 for 5 quarts, it is comparable to conventional oil and about half the price of Mobil One.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:20 AM
minivanin
Professional

i switched my mothers '00 GC Sport with the 3.3 at around the same mileage as where you are, 108K now, no probs

i use Mobil One, BTW, but you choose what works for you

-greg

Old 06-30-2006, 01:22 AM
webbee
Professional

For all your oil questions try BOB is the oil guy forum.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:56 AM
greaseangel
Professional

Mine has 202K, I use Mobil Clean 5000 and Lucas. I still change the oil every 3,000 miles anyhow. From everything I've heard, if you switch to a synthetic, or start using a product like Lucas, you have to stick with it. Anyone else heard that and know why? Or is it even true?

Old 06-30-2006, 11:06 AM
ASH
Veteran

No, you can switch back and forth without a problem. Oil just coats the surfaces of the engine to reduce friction. When you change it, the new oil just replaces what was there before. Some oils are definately better than others, but you can switch between brands, weights, and synthetic or dino oil without a problem. Check out the forum webbee linked to, it has a lot of good reading.

Quick Reply: Synthetic