Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 dodge caravan won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Cachirula
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 dodge caravan won't start

Recently while driving the van ran out of gas and turned off. As I was coasting to the station, I noticed that the dash went crazy like an electrical problem had occured. I put gas in, but when I went to start it, it won't start. I hear the fuel pump when I turn in to the on position. Can this be electrical or fuel?

Old 07-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Goofy173
Rookie
Default RE: 97 dodge caravan won't start

Well, we need more information as it could be anything. WHen the fuel pump comes on when you put the key in the RUN position, Not START, does it shut off then? Does it have spark? Does it fire or just turn over and over. Does it sound the same when trying to start it as it used to?

I question that your engine failure was actually caused by no gas but instead it was caused by the problem you are having now. A good chance is the timing belt. Normally the engine turns much faster if the timing belt is broken.

It would help to know what engine you have too and the mileage.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:10 AM
greaseangel
Professional

I've got a 97, and have had just about every possible problem with it. Give us some more information, and we'll be glad to help.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:50 AM
chopper
Veteran

With the guages going crazy like you say,it's likely a computer problem instead of a low fuel condition.

Quick Reply: 97 dodge caravan won't start