Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

94 caravan ES problem need help

Old 07-06-2006, 05:54 AM
hald
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 caravan ES problem need help

My caravan runs great and gets very good economy - but the engine\drivetrain has what I percieve as a "miss" between 35 and 40mph. As this happens I can feel the engine rocking.

Background - in January '05 I had a trans and torque convertter, and new axels installed. It has been about 10K miles since the installation; it has a total of 122K miles. It is now due for a smog inspection and I'm worried it may not pass. Today I replaced the O2 sensor, pcv valve, and air filter, tommorro I plan on doing the spark plugs. I drove it this evening and the "miss" is still there. I called a garage and the mechanic told me he didn't think what I'm describing is ignition or fuel injection related. I'm worried it may be a transmission problem.

I'd like to connect my OBDII scanner to check for trouble codes but can't find the connector (I've used the scanner on my Oldsmoblie and a friend's Buick). Under the dash there is a connector that may be the one I need but it doesn't match the Chrysler one for my scanner. On another part of this forum there is a post showing how to use jumpers to connect the auto X-ray scanner. But I'm not sure if the connector I've found is the right one. Can someone describe the connector to me - is it mounted similar to GM vehicles (mine is just hanging there)? Is it a certain color (mine is black)? How many pins does it have? One post I found described it as under the steering wheel column - where is it located (the one I found is behind the panel and behind the steering column). Thanks in advance for any help - I'm stressing a bit over worrying about the trans and smog check.
-Hal

Old 07-06-2006, 07:32 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 94 caravan ES problem need help

As I replied to in your other post:
The OBDII system was not manditory until 1996. Some vehicles had it in 1995, few had it in 1994, so, I doubt your 1994 Caravan has a port for it.
However, don't give up hope! If you are looking for trouble codes, go to this post. Chrysler made it nice and simple. No jumper wires, or any of that non-sense.

I'm not familiar with the Caravan, so I can't tell you any typical problem areas.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:54 AM
minivanin
Professional

you sure thats not the transmission??

mine did a very similar thing when it had its original trans, then it got worse & it had to be replaced

-greg

Old 07-07-2006, 04:57 AM
hald

Hooray! It turned out all right. I took the van to my regular mechanic. Him and his son test drove it and said they thought it was a suspension related vibration. They said to have the tires rotated and balanced first. Second stop was the place where in June '05 I had the tries rotated and balanced and an alignment. 3 of their mechanics test drove it. None of them were sure what the problem was and recommended looking at it on the rack. They found the axels were bad. Axels were replaced, tires rotated, balanced, and a new alignment (alignment, they said was barely off, was within specs without work). Anyway, the new axels cured the problem. It hasn't felt this smooth in years! I am so relieved! Total bill $387.00
-Hal

Old 07-07-2006, 10:15 PM
minivanin
Professional

great!!!!

tho axles for our vans is like 70 bucks for one side & like 95 for the other & they are not hard at all to change, but ohwell its done now

-greg

Old 09-14-2006, 10:46 PM
bodariah

Hi,
The same thing just happened to my '94 caravan, (bad front axles) . I just paid over 400 for a tranny.
I went to a repair shop and they wanted 132.00 for each side front axle (right and left).I would prefer to do it myself.
I went online to auto parts stores and type in right front axle and they say no parts available. Am I asking for the propper name or what is it called. I would love to find them for 50-75.00. do i ask for a right front axle or what?
Hope you can help TIA

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 caravan ES problem need help