Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help! Burning brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 05:21 AM
haermoni
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Burning brakes!

We have a 2003 Grand Caravan. We had the rotors replaced about 3 months ago. However, when we go down steep hills and use the brakes for longer than usual, by the time we get to the bottom of the hill the brakes are burning/smoking. And no the parking brake wasn't on. I'm obviously not mechnically inclined and since I'm a woman I don't want to bring it to a shop and get ripped off.
Please help, thanks!

Old 07-08-2006, 04:12 AM
wireman
Default RE: Help! Burning brakes!

Could be the type of pads you have on your vehicle. I changed to ceramic pads and have been pleased with them.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:12 AM
wireman

Could be the type of pads you have on your vehicle. I changed to ceramic pads and have been pleased with them.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Goofy173
Rookie

What distance are you talking about while holding the brakes? I don't believe they should be doing this. Did they replace the pads too? If not they should have. Do you actually see smoke coming out from the fenders or how do you notice this? If it's just a smell of the brakes, they will do that. I still smell mine on in-town driving and I put new pads on a year ago. I think the new pad types are just crap since they can't use asbestos anymore. Maybe ceramics are the way to go. I've not used them yet. I go for the cheapest as they tend to wear out instead of putting grooves in the rotors, and I'd rather change shoes than have to replace rotors.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
chopper
Veteran

If you smell brakes at any time you are using them too much.When going down hills,use a lower gear.If you smell them while driving "in town" you're using them too hard.Let off the gas and coast toward stops instead of blasting right up to them and slamming on your brakes.This wastes gas and is hard on the suspension,brakes,and transmission.
These ARE minivans for Gods sake,not Indy cars.

Quick Reply: Help! Burning brakes!