Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Voyager intermittent "huccup"

Old 07-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Irish_Devil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Voyager intermittent "huccup"

Ok, I think i have read just about every related post on this forum and although my issue is generally similar, mine has a twist. First off, Im buying the van from a friend BUT researching this issue first to try to resolve it. The van does the same intermittent "hiccuping" that many others on this site seem to do. It had no engine lights on but still had 2 codes stored....P0120 and P0122...both related to the TPS sensor, so I replaced it to no avail. I took it for a much longer drive a few days ago on both the highway and back roads and I noticed something a little strange....It only acts up when the road winds to the right...any time I have to turn the wheel to the right, even very subtle, it starts.. It does not matter if I am turning into a parking spot, turning onto a side street or the highway has a gradual wind to the right, that is when it acts up. The speedomoter is not affected at all by the shuddering, just the RPM's....almost as if its shifting down then back up again over and over...it does not feel like a tranny problem exactly...more like wiring or a sensor...but thats why I am here asking, cuz I dont know....Any suggestions will help.....thank you in advance...by the way, it has 133k on the odo...and I have not replaced ANYTHING else but the TPS so far.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
greaseangel
Professional
Default RE: 96 Voyager intermittent "huccup"

Welcome to the club! We've all got our interesting little twists. I have no clue what to tell you. Haven't figured it out myself. Mine hasn't done it in about 1,000 miles now.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 PM
monjay23

I own a 96 Grand Caravan (Dodge), and I have noticed a similar problem with my van. I bought it from a used car lot in November. It has about 126K mi on it & we are having to get the transmission rebuilt (at the dealer's expense). We also have had to put a new fuel pump & fuel filter on within the first 30 days of ownership!! My van has actually cut off on me twice while I was stopped at a stop sign. I would definitely suggest having the transmission & fuel system checked.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:49 AM
greaseangel
Professional

I replaced the fuel pump and filter and it made no difference. I wonder now though, with all the other threads about tranny-related issues, if the output speed sensor could be causing this? The speedometer needle does drop for a moment, and my van acts liek it's going into limp mode when it does it. But, lasting only a second and not tripping a code, can't make an accurate diagnosis.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:22 AM
ASH
Veteran

Not sure if I have the same problem or not. My van would miss when I was under light throttle and under a little bit of a load, basically going up a small hill. This usually occurred at 1500-2000 rpm in either third gear but most often in overdrive. I finally had it diagnosed as a miss by running the van with a scan tool hooked up to it. Before that I couldn't tell if it was the transmission or the engine. I finally discovered it was the coil pack. I took the coil pack off of my neighbor's van and put it on my van and it ran great. The problem had me frustrated for a long time. I had put in a new TPS, wires, and plugs and none of them solved the problem. The coil pack is easy to replace and costs around $50 at local auto parts stores. It's also easy to swap out if you want to do like I did and borrow one from someone else's van.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:23 AM
minivanin
Professional

why am i getting a bad axle feeling out of this....

-greg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Voyager intermittent "huccup"