Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

caravan doesn't start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 10:35 PM
dpm380
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caravan doesn't start when hot

I have a 1998 grand caravan with a 3.3L engine, 145,000 miles. I keep having a random problem with starting it up when the engine is hot. The van starts OK when cold but on some hot days after it has been driven for 1/2 hour or more the car will not start. The engine turns over but will not keep running. If I press the accellerator down and start the van It will rev up and then quit. If I let the van sit for 1-3 hours it will startup OK and run fine. Had it towed once to the garage, by the time it got to the garage it had cooled off and started OK. The garage checked for codes and found none. They ran it and could not repeat the problem. This problem is totaly random as to when it occurs but does seem related to temperature.

Also after 4-5 start attempts the starter locks out and will not crank the engine.
The last time this happened I pulled the battery cable for 2 minutes to see if this would reset the processor. This nade no difference.

Quick Reply: caravan doesn't start when hot