Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

tranny pan bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 03:29 PM
PB1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny pan bolts

1997 Dodge GC, 3.3
After last tranny service by dealer was told several bolt holes were stripped and they used longer bolts to tighten tranny. Fix is to helicoil holes. Manager says it's my problem since the block is aluminum. Same dealer did a tranny service within last year and made no mention of stipped bolt holes. Checked tranny pan recently and one bolt is missing. Does dealer have any responsibility in this situation?

Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: tranny pan bolts

Why is it your problem that it's aluminum? Were you one of the rocket scientist engineers that designed the tranny (lol)? Unless you stripped them taking them out, i would think that a consciensous dealer would do something at least to make sure the bolts won't just fall out. If this was a chrysler dealer that did the work hopefully they used perma-tex gasket to seal the pan to the case. If by some outside chance they're a cheapo dealer and used a rubber gasket, (which you can see and feel around the edge of the pan/case mating surface) I would make sure you get all the bolts in otherwise they will leak fluid and you could ruin the tranny. If they used a goop seal, and it set up right you'll get away with it for a while more without all the bolts. Pan bolts are usually only a little more than finger tight(10-15lbs max) and should not strip out. Sometimes in certain climates (salt and similar) the bolts can oxidize and be tough to get out. If they had been out the year prior I seriously doubt that is the case unless they stripped them then, or more than likely overtightened them putting them back in last time and stripped them. Also , if it was stripped, a longer bolt makes no sense, because most of the bolts see daylight around the lip when they come through, what they might have done was a use a larger or standard (not metric) bolt to buy time which would thread into the old holes and temporarily hold. If they used a longer bolt in the blind bottom holes, then they probably really finished off stripping them out. Considering they probably charged more than $100 to do something that the parts cost them less than $35 I would think they can do something at least at a discount to fix the problem. My question is why didn't they address the problem then instead of making you come back (they don't call when there is something they notice to see what you want to do)? Good luck

Old 07-25-2006, 11:48 PM
PB1
Default RE: tranny pan bolts

Thanks for the quick response. Dealer didn't go too deeply into the project since he was trying to sell me a $3100. rebuilt tranny. Tech says front pump is noisy. I hada them change the fluid and it seems okay to me. However, that missing bolt bothers me and I want to see what they have to say about it. Sure they're gonna shuck and jive and try to stick me for the helicoiling. We'll see.

Quick Reply: tranny pan bolts