Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 GC tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:38 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 GC tranny

Ok, with all my tranny experience on caravans (all bad) you'd think i'd be more on top of this one, but i'm depressed and flustered so here goes. Replaced the tranny in my 97 (at 81k miles) with a direct from Chrysler tranny. Now with 126k (45k on tranny) and 4 output speed sensors later (3 by dealer under warranty) (last one by me 2 weekends ago) Carol-anne and the poltergeists have re-infested my damn van. I serviced the tranny just so I could see the pan magnet (normal metal flake) and replaced the speed sensor. Week prior to doing this my wife got Speed sensor code a few times driving home from work and then twice went into limp mode with the additional Transmission Control Module failure. I figured the TCM was doing this because of inaccurate readings from the speed sensor. Let me back up one bit here, when i changed the sensor, there was just a small amount of metal flake on the tip of the magnet which wiped right off, but i replaced it anyway. (Stealerships say these sensors go bad all the time, i'm baffled by how an optical sensor can go bad with such rapididty . I think 4 in 45k is just a tad excessive. I don't think they really are bad, but they either wipe em of and/or replace just to do it after the code gets set). So back to now here I am with very little metal (sign of normal wear in tranny) and it going into limp mode 3 x on a 20 mile ride home last night (wife driving behind me in our freshly picked up used caravan, so we could each have a piece of chrysler junk to drive). My question is what would you do next? Do I have a TCM failure? Change yet another OSS? Take it to a tranny specialty shop for diagnostics or a stealership? Here you go Greaseangel, now you can sarcasm me back for the PCV comment lol. I just can't think straight on this anymore so any hints would be helpful.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:46 AM
greaseangel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 97 GC tranny

If it were me, I would replace the PCM.

Dangit, I have an open chance, invitation even, and I can't think of a smart alek comment! I must be tired!

Quick Reply: 97 GC tranny