Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

I brought my new 06 GC SXT home yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Baveux
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I brought my new 06 GC SXT home yesterday

Very nice ride, ok I'm still enjoying the honeymoon and I hope that I will not wake up abruptly any time soon.

A few question:

What about the transmission problem, did Chrysler fixed the problem ?

I leased the van but I have the intention to buy it at the end, but i wonder about the reliability issue, what are the main issue that I have to expect.

The 3.8 , how good is that engine, better than the 3.1/3.4 from GM ?? ( I just sold my Montana 2002 and I wasn't too happy with it.)

I have the towing package , I looked at the rear shock absorber and I cant see a hose connected to them, How can it be ? They are supposed to keep my van leveled when loaded

Ok enough for tonight , thanks to you guys

Old 07-30-2006, 07:40 PM
99Sport33L
Rookie
Default RE: I brought my new 06 GC SXT home yesterday

The 3.8 is better than the 3.3L -- more power and possibly better fuel economy. You shouldn't have to worry about a transmission when it under warranty and brand new.

Tell us what mpg you get city and hwy. Does it still use 87 octane?

How much does the lease and then insurance cost you?

Old 07-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Baveux

I was just curious about the transmission but I dont worry about it at all, the powertrain is pretty well covered for 5 years and 100000 km ( 62000 miles)

We all know that one thing that hurt the public opinion in regards of the car business in the US is their " slowliness " at fixing major problem on their car.

Yes the 87 octane is what is recommended

We will have to wait a bit for the gas milleage figure but I will share the data with you for sure.

The van was 38808.000 canadian, close to 11000.00 in various rebate so 28000.00 minus some cash and few more price reduction brought the van to 400.00 per months tx included for 36 month. residual 14430.00 so if I buy after 3 years without financing the 14330. i"ll get a pretty good deal . actually cheaper than buying right now !!

Old 07-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Baveux

Now I know how my self levelling suspension work !! Geez I was looking for a compressor hose etc....for the one interested to learn how they work follow:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/nivomat.html

Old 08-04-2006, 06:41 PM
tennesseevan

Transmission: I had a '90 GC, which in the course of 152K miles had 4 replacement trans. Chrysler must have improved the 4-speed or I got a better unit, because my '99 GC with currently 142K miles is still on the original transmission, and overall it's been the most reliable vehicle we've ever had. I think the key to long transmission life is regular service.

Reliablilty: As I mentioned above, our '99 has been an excellent vehicle. The only repairs, other than the normal maintenance type, that I remember were two failed speed sensors and a failed front door window regulator.

I recently bought another used GC, this one a 2001 GC Sport. The previous two started out as rental vehicles. The 2001 now has 100K on it and is in excellent shape, with everything operating as it should. Of course, no one can predict future reliability, but my experience with the '99 and the existing condition of the '01 give me reasonable confidence. Keeping up with the OEM maintenance schedule, and changing the oil every 3K-4K, are keys to keeping these vehicles going strong.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:53 AM
Baveux

Thats good information thanks, its good to read positive comment after 4 years of negative one with my Pontiac Montana

Quick Reply: I brought my new 06 GC SXT home yesterday