Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 GC Hard downshift from OD

Old 01-26-2008, 10:27 PM
aldog78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 GC Hard downshift from OD

I have a 2001Grand Caravan EX 3.8l A604 trans and it shifts hard out of overdrive at about 25 mph. It started this after I changed the oil and filter in the transmission, before that it seemed fine. I seems weird because it is not consistent, sometimes it downshifts harder than others. I just bought the van and it has 116,000 miles on it. There also is trans fluid leaking from the solenoid valve bank cover. I put the Chevron ATF+4 in it and also tried some additive. Any ideas of what happened??[:@]

Old 01-26-2008, 11:48 PM
onephatcracka
Rookie
Default RE: 2001 GC Hard downshift from OD

a leak at the solenoid pack from the front of the trans? I would replace the solenoid pack. Thats what controls a good bit of the shifting. Dodge does not recomend any additives in any of thier transmissions. (so i'm told). I would repair the solenoid pack and go from there.

there also may be a trip to the dealer in order for you, the reason for this is after you replace that its a good idea to do a quick learn on the trans. Its kinda of a calibration for the transmission control module to see where the clutches are

Old 01-27-2008, 12:46 PM
aldog78

I was debating weather I would remove and reseal the soleniod block or replace it entirely. Maybe a piece of debris got in one of the valves and now sticks?? Other than the hard downshift from OD the trans upshifts and downshifts fine.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:57 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

There is a flash update thru the dealer, and you maybe cover under the emission warranty? And replace the solenoid pack. You may need to drop the pan and ck the filter. sometimes if the o-ring as a cut it will suck air, causing a shifting problem. Use mopar atf+4 not chevron +4.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:52 PM
holtzer1
Rookie

ORIGINAL: onephatcracka

a leak at the solenoid pack from the front of the trans? I would replace the solenoid pack. Thats what controls a good bit of the shifting. Dodge does not recomend any additives in any of thier transmissions. (so i'm told). I would repair the solenoid pack and go from there.

there also may be a trip to the dealer in order for you, the reason for this is after you replace that its a good idea to do a quick learn on the trans. Its kinda of a calibration for the transmission control module to see where the clutches are
hit the nail right on the head...you need a quicklearn done on the trans. computer. simple, 5 minute job. take it to a shop with either a snap on scanner or chrysler scanner, either of em can do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 GC Hard downshift from OD