Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

99 Caravan Cant Turn Ignition Key/Can't Open Hood

Old 08-02-2006, 09:05 AM
pvirola
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Caravan Cant Turn Ignition Key/Can't Open Hood

Please Help!

My 99 dodge caravan is currently stranded at a local supermarket. We can't get the ignition key to turn. I've already researched how to replace the ignition lock cylinder and have already tried to remove it but the problem is that the key wont turn. In order to remove it the key must be turned out of the off position. I have tried a newer key, tapping the key gently, moving steering wheel and everything else that I can think of. Tried everything for about three hours. All panels below the steering wheel are now removed so I can see everything but don't know what else to do.

Also, I read in the Haynes manual that negative battery terminal should be removed as a safety precaution against the airbags deploying so I was going to open the front hood and found that it would not open. Again, had to remove access panels and the lever. I verified that the cable is attached and pulled it out as far out as possible but still could not unlatch hood. Can someone please tell me how to get it unlatched or what I need to do to get to it at the front.

Thanks In Advanced!

Pab in San Antonio, Tx

Old 08-03-2006, 04:51 PM
tennesseevan
Default RE: 99 Caravan Cant Turn Ignition Key/Can't Open Hood

Don't know a solution for the key problem, but I had a '90 Grand Caravan with a hood that wouldn't open. This was back in 1992, but we were setting out on western trip, and when I discovered the hood problem we went looking for a mechanic. As I recall, he started prying near the latch with a screwdriver or a pry bar and was able with force to get the hood up enough to release the latch. The problem was that the hood linkage had gotten crimped where it was clamped in the engine compartment. It was so tight that the cable wouldn't slide and thus the release mechanism wouldn't work.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:38 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: 99 Caravan Cant Turn Ignition Key/Can't Open Hood

My wife's 92 Caravan has had cable problems in the past and I remove the grille to get at the latch.The key problem sounds like a job for Locksmith Man.Lots of start up's and shut down's do cause wear and tear on the key and cylinder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Caravan Cant Turn Ignition Key/Can't Open Hood