Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Replacement Parts - Dealer Only?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:31 PM
ProfessorGT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Parts - Dealer Only?

Can someone out there help?[8D]

I have a 2002 Caravan Sport AWD (3.8L) which is my wife's kid-taxi. The vehicle has been a constant source of problems since the day we got it. If it's not one thing it's another, and I should have known better.......... but we wanted to buy American ........... what a joke that is![sm=sigh.gif]

Anyway, after having the trans replaced a few months ago, now the flex joint that connects the front cat pipe to the exhaust manifold has blown out. I have searched and searched online, called and visited a few parts stores, and no one seems to have the parts necessary to repair this. The parts stores say that Dodge has some stupid patent on this thing so they cannot get even the front cat pipe, let alone a repair kit, so the only thing you can do is buy an OE replacement catalytic converter because this piece is welded to the front of the cat pipe. That is also what the factory shop manual states, but my exhaust system is in good shape and the cat doesn't need replacement.

The vehicle is down until I can get it fixed, but I cannot agree with, nor do I want to waste the money, to replace the whole cat pipe.

Does anyone know of a repair kit like maybe a weld-in replacement flex joint that is robust enough to last properly? I've located Flangeman.com, but it looks like they will only sell to repair shops, and they are not open on the weekend. I really do need to get this heap fixed ASAP.[sm=icon_flaming.gif]

And now for the philosophical perspective:

It's no wonder the "American" car companies are sucking hind tit! That's what happens when they do stupid crap like this. Really, we can't even call Dodge "American" any more seeing as though now they are owned by the Germans. Hopefully Dodge products will not catch the same disease VW has, because those things are the biggest pieces of junk I've ever seen. Lots of the German stuff has already migrated its way into Dodge vehicles. One look under a Magnum (which is a really nice car, by the way) and you'd swear you were looking at a Mercedes or a BMW. That darn NAG auto trans is an explosion waiting to happen, and that's just one example. The Germans just can't seem to stop over-complicating things, and that's what gets them into trouble all the time.[sm=badidea.gif]

Maybe one of these days Ford or GM will wake up, ......... but I doubt it. If things keep going like they are, pretty soon the Japs will rule the automotive world! Seems like every day Toyota conquers more and more territory. Maybe we'll have to trade this load in for a Sienna, but I really hate to do that! The one thing they have going for them is reliability, and you can't deny it. I really have to think about where I spend my automotive dollars from now on. It's all about reliability and dependability, and the Japs are the only ones who seem to understand that.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 08-07-2006, 01:51 AM
99Sport33L
Rookie
Default RE: Replacement Parts - Dealer Only?

It's sad you got a lemon. I hope I don't have to buy the OEM cat for my 99 3.3L Sport -- as I think they might charge $430?

I wanna do a custom exhaust on my van, but I don't have the money.

The only American vehicle I ever considered buying was the Dodge Grand Caravan. Maybe a Chevy Corvette or Ford Mustang would be nice but I can't afford that toy and I have to consider fuel efficient cars.

Yeah, American engineering really sucks. Like GM is now touting that their new Saturn Vue hybrid car is coming out but it only gets 27 mpg city! That's really crappy for a hybrid. If GM, Ford, and Chrysler can't come up with decent hybrids within their product lines they will all suffer heavily and Honda and Toyota will make a killing!

Tell us what you got fixed and how much it costs!

Old 08-08-2006, 03:02 PM
chopper
Veteran

Here's a link to an aftermarket convertor.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10245
An exhaust shop should be able to make a part to go between the cat and the engine.It shouldn't cost that much either.I also thought that emissions related parts were warranted for ten years but the exhaust pipe is another story.

Old 08-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Chump
Captain

First, have you checked with Dodge to see if it is replaceable under their emissions warranty? don't tell them the tranny was messed with and spray it down with mud if you need to cover up any recent wrench marks!

Visit a real muffler/exhaust shop..NOT Midas and all those other bandits.

You can try an industrial supply house for a universal bellows.

Try calling come Marine shops as many boats use flexible couplers and bellows in their exhaust system.

www.mesamarine.com/AIM.htm#AIM
www.dmeexpansionjoints.com/cat-exhaust.htm

Seems to me that all you need is a small piece of the flex pipe. The flat flange can be re-used.
If all else fails, contact www.makeitmopar.com for a new pipe and converter, their site says $165 plus shipping/tax.
$175 here www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com

Quick Reply: Replacement Parts - Dealer Only?