Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

03 DGC Sport - DIY rear cylinders, help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Crazed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 DGC Sport - DIY rear cylinders, help?

I've had my van for two years - I've had several brake issues in the past - all covered by Dodge. Now, I've got another issue and I'm going to take are of it myself.

According to two repair shops, I need at least one rear (drivers) cylinder replaced - both drums machined and new shoes....one shop wanted to charge me $396 the other $550 - I'm just not seeing how $80 in parts can cost that much in labor to install (one place did brakes only, so I assume they won't be following along in a Chilton to do this...)

Anyway, I'm going to do this myself. I know I can...I just have some basic questions.

1. Before I jump into this - do I need to buy any special tools? I've got various tools...but I'm talking any special tools like Chevy's lame-o star shaped screwdriver.

2. Do I need to buy anything special to bleed the brakes after? (This alone was $50 at the local brake repair shop!)

Any advice you can offer would be great...I'm going to try to do this on Saturday...

Thanks in advance!
Brandy

Old 08-11-2006, 11:10 AM
wraithyvan
Default RE: 03 DGC Sport - DIY rear cylinders, help?

I don't forsee any special tools but take pics (digital cam) of the setup of the brakes with the drums so that you can refer to it.
you may want to check to be sure first that the brake line into the wheel cylinder will come off first.
with out wrecking the break line.

it should be a basic drum brake job that can be done with ordinary tools improvised for the special brake tools.
long screw driver needle nose vise grips. basics.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:23 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: 03 DGC Sport - DIY rear cylinders, help?

The national chain stores are generally rip off artists.They have a set repair for every situation and to get the warranty you have to play their game.They prey on the uninformed and will screw you to death if they can.You have to be carefull when dealing with these people even if you're knowledgeable about mechanical devices.I bought new rotors once because we were in a hurry and didn't have time to check the thickness of the old parts ourselves.
Here's a link to a helpfull site.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/brake.htm

Quick Reply: 03 DGC Sport - DIY rear cylinders, help?