Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dreaded LIMP Mode 1992 Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 07:34 PM
thowell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreaded LIMP Mode 1992 Caravan

ok here I go
1992 caravan 3.3 crap a604 trans rebuilt output sensor changed wiring checked and still limps on and off.

It can start from the get go or after driving at 55 for 40 or 50 miles sometimes a day or two.. if the fuel gage is low and light is on than more often limps and the key off and back on wont work.. if it wont go out of limp and I let the tranny and engine heat up driving in limp until the temp gage goes up it will go into normal mode and stay there for a lot longer any ideas could it be the input sensor does the input sensor go as often as the output does >>> side note after i put in the output it stayed out of limp mode for a few days a first in a while <<<Please help only working mode of transport whit 2 kids
T

Old 08-16-2006, 10:54 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: Dreaded LIMP Mode 1992 Caravan

Was your oldtranny rebuilt or was it a reman that was purchsed and put in? Have you gone to a shop to have the tranny codes pulled. My 91GC had similar episodes when metal filings started to plug the solenoid pack. What is the conidtion of the fluid and how long since i was put in? Check the input speed sensor for metal on the tip (input and output sensors are just magnetic pick-ups). Good Luck

Old 08-17-2006, 02:54 PM
shelbydodgeimp
Rookie

Limp mode shouldnt be triggered by low fuel alert, it is possible you have a wiring problem effecting the TCM and thus triggering limp (like a lose, but critical tcm connection).

Having the TCM scanned would give you a start on where to look. A CVI test would show if the trans is shot as well, some trans shops will do it for free or cheap, esp if you are a repeat customer.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:29 AM
jerseyfred

I have similar wierdness to report:

The other day we are driving and we hit some kind of bump in the road. Immediately w ehear the warning chime and check our gauges. Temp gauge spiked all the way to red!!! Pull over immediately and check...nothing wrong..no coolant loss...no steam...nothing. Restart the car...temp gauge is normal but limp mode. We drive home in limp mode and shut it off for the night. Start it up today...and the van runs perfectly!!

Is this common for this product?

Old 08-24-2006, 10:08 PM
thowell

The lastest....

When I get up in the AM and leave for work the van works perfect.........But
When I leave after work the van will not come out of LIMP mode no matter what I do
When I start the van at work the tranny will not go into drive for a sec than it goes into LIMP MODE and no matter how many
times I restart it the dam thing stays in LIMP, but Like i said in the morning it work perfect....no LIMP at all
WEIRD

any Ideas out there

P.S. does anyone know the wire numbering for the TCM ans ECM control plugs so I can test them

Thanks

Quick Reply: Dreaded LIMP Mode 1992 Caravan