Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Grand Caravan SXT Rear Hattch Won't Open

Old 02-02-2014, 03:08 PM
wireway
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Grand Caravan SXT Rear Hattch Won't Open

My rear hatch won't open by power button or by outside latch. Just makes a beep noise. Anyone have this issue know a fix?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Scoty89

I've dealt with this on a few mini vans. What i replaced was the latch itself. There are switches on the latch itself. If a switch screws up the latch doesn't know what position the door is in so it may not open. If you had a scan tool that could read the codes for the Lift gate module there would probably be a couple different ones in the module for the latch stuck. Going by what I have seen Id say the latch is stuck. Since you can hit the button and the van beeps. If you look at the inside of the rear hatch down toward the bottom in the middle on the plastic trim there is a little panel that you can pop off. Then you can get to the latch with a bent pick or screwdriver and manually open the door that way. You will have to find the right piece to move to get it to pop.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wireway
My rear hatch won't open by power button or by outside latch. Just makes a beep noise. Anyone have this issue know a fix?
wireway,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the power lift gate on your van. I have done a little digging here in regards to what you're describing. In some cases when the lift gate cannot be opened electronically or manually, a scan of the internal latch assembly is required.

A visit to a Chrysler Dealer would be beneficial in effectively pinpointing the exact cause of your issue.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

08 - Electrical/8N - Power Systems/Power Liftgate/Standard Procedure
MANUAL RELEASE OF AN INOPERATIVE POWER LIFTGATE LATCH

NOTE: The liftgate may be opened manually by raising the latch release lever (3) in the event the power liftgate latch assembly (1) becomes inoperative. If the latch assembly (1) becomes stuck during a cinch command the cinch function may be overridden by raising the cinch override lever (2).
1. Remove the access door from the middle of the lower liftgate trim panel.
2. Reaching around to the back of the latch assembly (1) raise the appropriate lever for the current condition.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DodgeCACares, any way you can include the art for the post above?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:26 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
DodgeCACares, any way you can include the art for the post above?
Tizzy1,

I have looked into the owners manual further, it does not include a diagram regarding the manual release of the power lift gate process.

A servicing Chrysler dealer has all of the necessary resources investigate the concern thoroughly.

In addition, a service manual may be purchased (link below) through the Mopar TechAuthority website. The manuals provide more technical details and diagrams regarding Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram products. A service manual can be obtained that is specific to the 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan.

https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx

Old 01-06-2019, 01:50 AM
2008T&C

I have attached the manual release diagram. My liftgate was working when I loaded the car at the store and then wouldn't work when I arrived home 5 minutes later. My liftgate would not open via the rear release handle or any buttons or the remote. When using the rear handle it would beep once but do nothing else. I removed the rear access cover inside of the car and was able to pull up on the release lever (3) in the picture. It is difficult to reach the release lever through the access hole as there is not much room and the lever is on the backside of the actuator as you are looking at it from inside of the car. Also, there is not much of a tab to pull up on. It is recommended that you disconnect the battery before attempting repair to avoid injury. I did not disconnect the battery,

2012 T&C Rear Latch

Old 12-05-2019, 01:13 PM
sekjr

ok - so - the view you show is looking at it from the rear of the van???

I look in my access hole and see nothing. I put my finger in and poke around and there's nothing there!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Grand Caravan SXT Rear Hattch Won't Open