Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Nofrag
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas?

Here's a video of what the van is doing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blifcuULWZw

It's a 96 3.0 with 3 speed auto. Loud knocking, and will barely move in forward gears and not at all in reverse.

I've looked at some other videos and I think it's going to be a bad rod bearing.

Last edited by Nofrag; 10-09-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 AM
chopper
Veteran

Time for a crate engine,your's is dead.
The barely moving problem could just be from the low power output of the engine.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Nofrag
Champion

YAY UPDATE TIME!!!

So I fired up the engine to try a couple things today, and I was thinking that maybe due to the van having sat for a few months without driving, maybe the fluid just wasn't flowing in the transmission and that's why it wouldn't move. So I decided to start shifting the lever up and down a few times and trying to roll the van. Then all the sudden it started to work, up to the point where it lurches forward on its own if I let off the brake. Took a quick test drive(didn't want to go far because of the rod knock and no plates), and it seems that I have a fully fuctioning transmission.

Unfortunately I had heated the van up to the point where I didn't want to start the bearing replacement job, but I have the bearings, the new oil(Castrol GTX High Mileage), a new Fram filter, and a caulking tube full of RTV. I'm ready to get it done the next nice day.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Nofrag
Champion

Yet another Update!!!

I sincerely hope none of you have to go through this crap, because it is no hayday doin it outside on your back. Some brilliant engineer at Chrysler decided that they need to add a couple brackets between the engine and transmission, to shore it up I guess. Normally that would be awesome, BUT the idea that they came up with, included using these 2 brackets to block 6 oil pan bolts, oh and to secure the bottom front motor mount to the transmission, through the dust shield and one of the brackets, and angle it so it blocks the oil pan from being removed. So I'll get on with it and tell you that with some manipulation of the dust shield and front bracket, and removal of the rear bracket, I managed to get all the pan bolts, and worked the lip of the pan out of the dust shield(what a bitch that was). I know that the shield should be removed, but I'll have to do that tomorow, I didn't anticipate having to secure the engine and remove a mount.

Anyway, I was able to get the pan partially down, and get my hand inside of it. My suspicions were correct, the number 1 rod bearing is gone, rattles like loose change. I'm going back to finish the job tomorow, so I will take my camera and put together another youtube video.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Nofrag
Champion

Forgot to take my camera again and the van is pretty much back together. When I took out the bearings, the ones from #1 were badly worn, they were half the thickness of a new bearing, they were gouged, etc. It was pretty bad. The rest looked pretty nice though. The bottom of the oil pan was covered in silvery grey sludge, badly maintained engine by the looks of it. It went together alot easier then it came apart, except the starter won't seat properly. I'll have to get it back on there tomorrow, I lost my light and it was starting to get pretty cold so I packed up for the night. Then I can fill the oil and get her running again.

I also found the source of the oil leak, the last couple guys that have had the pan off were retarded, the pan still had the old cork gasket stuck to it, and 2 different colors of rtv.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:46 PM
andyg
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be surprised (or angered) if the engine still knocks when it is back together. Usually a knock that bad will need the crankshaft resized and put back in with undersize bearings.

Quick Reply: Ideas?