Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

limp in mode 1992 caravan

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 10:23 AM
thowell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default limp in mode 1992 caravan

Ok here goes

I have a 1992 caravan with 246,000KMS on it, 6 cyc 3.3 and the dreaded a604 tranny.

Tranny was replaced (so im told) before I got the van and only has about 10,000kms on it

I have replaced the tranny fluid and the output sensor.

Now heres the problem when the van is started in the morning around 7am it works perfectly all the way to work about 30 miles,(van sits at work all day in the sun) But when i leave work after the day is done about 5:30, the van will drop into limp mode and no matter what I do it stays there even if i shut off the key give it a minite it still just drops back in to limp mode if not before I move it will go into limp mode (will even drop into limp mode waiting in line at the drive through coffe shop) in under 10 feet of driving.

Now if i drive it in limp mode at 80kms per hour (55 mph) running about 4000rpm until the engine heats right up to the hot line on the temp gauge than turn off the key and restart it will come out of limp mode for the rest of the trip (most of the time) But i dont like to heat it up this much every day. Than the next morning or later that night when its cooler outside it will again work fine.

I have not been doing a lot of after work driving lately because I cant have the van die on me --its my only transport to work--

I have not got the codes pulled yet because I just dont have the time right now and every body in canada charges for this service.

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this weird problem im having.

This is the only problem I have had with the van so far ansd it is the only family car we have..

Thanks for all your help in advance
Ted

" finnally took it in for a code read but they tell me that they can not do it because it reads that the ecm and the tcm have no connection
PLEASE HELP
new input and another output since the last question
T

Old 09-07-2006, 07:06 PM
xmax1
Rookie
Default RE: lomp in mode 1992 caravan

I hear ya on the trans.....POS. I have (2) 1990 vans and currently my wife's Plymouth Grand Voyager is sitting in the back yard with a dead trans. I've altready rebuilt the one in my van and works great (so far).

Unfortunately, you'll be wasting time (and money) on parts until you scan the TCM for codes. Otherwise your just playing guessing games and becoming a "parts changer".

Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 PM
thowell

i had the codes read and all they can tell me is there is no way to read them because there is no comunication between the ecm and the tcm so they cant get codes than they said that will be $40 please

Old 09-08-2006, 07:43 PM
chopper
Veteran

Maybe the "no connection" is the problem itself???
There is a self test you can try with the ignition key but I don't know how much it will help.
Turn the key ON,OFF,ON,OFF,and back ON.
This will cause the Check Engine Light to flash the first digit of the code followed by a pause and then it will flash the last digit.The drawback to this method is it won't flash all the codes stored.but you might get lucky and find something.
You can buy a fair shop book for about $20 at Advance or Autozone by Haynes.These books are very worhwhile and can save you many dollars over the initial cost.If you don't do the work yourself,at least you won't be at the mercy of unscupulous mechanics.
Here's a link that might help.
http://www.justanswer.com/JA/ASP_A/T...nd-caravan.htm

Old 09-08-2006, 10:24 PM
xmax1
Rookie

If there is no communication between the ECM and the TCM, you have a problem, and that is one reason the trans is in limp mode.

Quick Reply: limp in mode 1992 caravan