Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Grand Caravan Transmission Skips

Old 09-14-2006, 07:26 PM
JC78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Grand Caravan Transmission Skips

I have a 1996 Grand Caravan LE, 3.8L engine with 130K miles on it. It has been skipping gears really bad lately. I have read that this is a common problem. I would like to see if there is any other solution than replacing the transmission or even paying for the "correct" type of transmission flush since these are not in my budget this month. Can you add the Mopar ATF +3 fluid without draining what was in there before? I know it sounds like a stupid question but there it is. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:10 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 96 Grand Caravan Transmission Skips

Transmissions are a closed system with some fluid expansion from heat accounted for. If you can't afford $12 for a filter kit and roughly $25 for 5-6 qts ATF +4 and do a tranny service for starters, then I'd recommend you get the kids sidewalk chalk and draw a giant pentagram around the van and put used birthday candles in the corners for protection...... Or spend $10-$15 on some Trans-X or Tranny Medic in a can and hope that buys you some time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Grand Caravan Transmission Skips