Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

what does this code mean please

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:59 PM
sherry0404
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does this code mean please

I recently read about the codes thing .. so I thought I would try it since my check engine light has been on , and I seem to be having some problems ... with a burning smell .. and transmission possibly stuck in 2nd gear.. this is what my code said?? blink pause blink blink pause blink blink pause blink blink paus blink blink pause blink blink paust then blink blink blink blink blink paust then blink blink blink blink blink .. does that make any sense to anybody out there

Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 PM
thowell
Default RE: what does this code mean please

the codes you are talkin about are code 12 (Battery disconect code) and code 22 (ect sensor voltage low or high)code 25(Idle air control motor circuits)) that one it a short somewhere the the last one is code 55 (which just means end of codes)

As for tranny burning smell check the fluid it should be fed with no burn smell not brown and burnt smelling

That is of course if the van is a 1994 -- 1996 if not let me know and I will get the right code reading for you
T

Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 PM
ASH
Veteran

12 - Battery disconnected within last 50 key-on cycles.
22 (twice?)- Engine coolant temperature Sensor voltage too low or too high.
55- End of codes.

If your battery went dead or was disconnected within the last fifty times you turned the ignition switch, that will give you the 12 Code.

It seems like you got the 22 code twice in a row. That doesn't make sense, other than my Haynes book says you can get the 22 code for either a too low or too high of a reading. So I'm not sure if the blinks were misread or if you are actually getting the code twice. I couldn't come up with any other combination. Although if your water temperature guage isn't working right, that may be related.

You will always get the code 55, whether or not any codes were set, so that is normal.

The codes listed that relate to the transmission are the following
66 - No messages received from Transmission Control Module.
45 - An automatic transmission input code has been set in the transmission controller.
37 - Relantionship between engine speed and vehicle speed indicates no torque converter clutch engagement.

You may want to double check the codes or go to a place like AutoZone. They will read the codes for free and those codes will be a little more specific. Ask them to write the code numbers down for you, so you can take it to a garage or ask about the codes on the forum.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:29 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

12 and 55 are inconsequential. It's interesting that it gave you 22 twice. 22 is engine coolant temp sensor. Hope this helps you out. That code should directly not affect the tranny. Good luck

Old 09-15-2006, 10:47 PM
sherry0404

THANKS EVERYONE .. I think that helped a little, I am going to check if there is an autozone in my area ((Vancouve BC))

Old 09-16-2006, 08:11 PM
sherry0404

Well , apparently they only have AutoZone in the US , so I am not sure where to go to check my transmission ... if anybody is from the Vancouver , Lower Mainland area and know of any places that would check it for free, or for a reasonable rate please let me know... thanks

Old 09-17-2006, 01:08 AM
thowell

any dealer can and will read the codes for you
it costes about $40.00
you might be able to call any tranny shop (mister transmission and the like) most of them can do it
T

Old 09-18-2006, 07:09 AM
sherry0404

thanks , I will give chrysler dealership and mister transmission a call tomorrow and see what they charge,, I phoned goodyear and Canadian tire , they both want 90 bucks.. that seems like quite a bit ...

Quick Reply: what does this code mean please