Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

airbox ? and noises

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:07 AM
epic_soundz69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbox ? and noises

i heard somewhere that making the hole in the stock airbox bigger, and even drilling another one will
help get more power out of the engine. Will it, or will it do more harm than good?

Also, when the van is parked with the engine on and i press the throttle, as soon as the engine gets
close to idle speed again, it sounds like it is backfiring. The noise isnt as loud as a "normal" backfire
and it also sorta sounds like the tailpipe might be hitting something.

any ideas?

Old 09-22-2006, 01:50 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: airbox ? and noises

You can increase the airflow into an engine by cutting extra holes in the airbox but you want to be sure to cut them where you will get cooler air rather than hot underhood air.The noises could be a backfire but without hearing it it's impossible to know for sure.The other noise you can track down yourself by getting under the van and pushing and pulling on things.Look for shiny places where two parts are rubbing or hitting each other.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:22 AM
minivanin
Professional

if you have a 3rd genner (96-00) don't mess with the airbox, besides for a K&N or other highflow replacement, its a factory cold air intake that gets it air from the fromt bumper area below the left headlight

you can replace the resonator (again 3rd genner) with a straight pipe for a little more noise

-greg

Old 11-05-2006, 11:22 PM
epic_soundz69

I have a second generation. Is there a way to make it louder besides buying parts?

Old 12-12-2006, 03:21 AM
minivanin
Professional

just cut the lower 1/2 off, at speed the air around there is abient temp (i verified this), but leave a wall towards the exhaust side, cut it open towards the fender, you can also remove the cover off the computer to help circulate more air up there, the computer has heat sinks, it won't die, i ran my van for 7-8 years without the cover on, & so has many others

just when your going very slow or stopped, the temps rise of course naturally

-greg

Quick Reply: airbox ? and noises