Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

94 Caravan Stalls, could it be the BCM

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:07 AM
piraterogue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Caravan Stalls, could it be the BCM

I had a mechanic tell me that the Body Control Module is going bad on my 1994 Grand Caravan. He said this after telling me the wiper motor was burned out and likely caused by a power surge related to the BCM going bad. I found out very shortly after, the mechanic told me the BCM needed replacement, that I couldn't trust him as far as I could throw his shop. So, I have not replaced the BCM. But I had replaced the wiper motor and it was burned out.

Recently my van has started stalling. It stalls when my foot isn't on the gas, like when I am stopping at a stoplight. Last night it took my hitting the gas while i started it to get it restarted. I was wondering if the BCM could be causing the problem. I haven't driven the van in conitions other than the evening when it's cooling down so it may be something simple like condensation somewhere. But I don't know enough to know where to look to check.

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan. 3.3 L, power about everything. I don't know what other information you might need to help me out. Thanks

Old 09-29-2006, 10:01 PM
67cobain94
Default RE: 94 Caravan Stalls, could it be the BCM

ORIGINAL: piraterogue

I had a mechanic tell me that the Body Control Module is going bad on my 1994 Grand Caravan. He said this after telling me the wiper motor was burned out and likely caused by a power surge related to the BCM going bad. I found out very shortly after, the mechanic told me the BCM needed replacement, that I couldn't trust him as far as I could throw his shop. So, I have not replaced the BCM. But I had replaced the wiper motor and it was burned out.

Recently my van has started stalling. It stalls when my foot isn't on the gas, like when I am stopping at a stoplight. Last night it took my hitting the gas while i started it to get it restarted. I was wondering if the BCM could be causing the problem. I haven't driven the van in conitions other than the evening when it's cooling down so it may be something simple like condensation somewhere. But I don't know enough to know where to look to check.

1994 Dodge Grand Caravan. 3.3 L, power about everything. I don't know what other information you might need to help me out. Thanks
No, a body control module controls functions inside of the vehicle generally. If it were a no-start I'd say possibly. You sound like you have a driveability problem like a fuel pump, an IAC motor, a vacuum leak or many other things it's hard to tell from over a computer.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:16 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

That old of a vehicle doesn't have a body control module. It has an ECM for the engine and a TCM for the transmission if it is a 4 speed. Sounds like your idle speed solenoid (IAC) might be bad. Also the throttle plate could be coked up with carbon, and should be cleaned.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:35 PM
chopper
Veteran

Get a can of spray carb cleaner and get busy.Remove the intake tube so you can get at the throttle body.If yours is like my wife's van there will be an opening in the bottom of the T/B where the idle air is metered into the engine.Get the engine started and warmed up and spray carb cleaner into this opening,get a helper if necessary to keep the engine running.
If the problem also happens when the throttle is opened slightly,especially when cold,it could be that the throttle plate is coked up like brandoncrone said.This can also be cleaned with spray cleaner but it might take a scraper to get some of the more stubborn deposits loosened up.
I recommend getting as Haynes or Chilton repair manual.If you don't even own a set of socket wrenches these manuals can give you an idea of what your mechanical problems are before you get hammered by an unscrupulous repair shop.You'll be surprised at how many things you CAN do once you remove the mystery of what's behind that cover or what's under that bolt.

Quick Reply: 94 Caravan Stalls, could it be the BCM