Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

97 caravan cutting out badly!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:26 PM
bdunegan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 caravan cutting out badly!!

my 97 caravan is cutting out badly like the fuel filter is plugged. doesnt do this all the time, just when you really need it not to. dropped tank, and filter was clear as was strainer sock on bottom of pump. pump kicks in and out like it is supposed to. has new plugs in it. never backfires when cutting out. sometimes idles smooth, sometimes idles really rough. anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-04-2006, 03:31 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran
Default RE: 97 caravan cutting out badly!!

Have you checked for any codes? It might be a faulty injector, or fuel pressure regulator, or the pump is on it's way out which explains the intermittant nature.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:50 PM
bdunegan
Amateur

have checked several times, and no codes are showing up. i am leaning toward fuel pump, or pressure regulator. put new pump on about 4yrs ago. trouble with this setup is you have to buy whole assembly, and it is a pain to change. had to be a genious to come up with the idea of an ELECTRIC pump in a GAS tank!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 01:28 AM
peterjon1

Hello, I just joined this forum when I saw your post. If yoy have the 3.0, I had a problem with my distributor cap being dirty, and the rotor was cracked. Replaced them, and it's smooth as silk now. I also had a 3.3 which would suddenly die, that turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor.
Good Luck!

Old 10-05-2006, 10:20 AM
greaseangel
Professional

I was going to say distributor cap too. The little teeth in mine were slightly corroded, and I sanded the corrosion off, and it ran like a new van. However, the fuel pump also did that to us. It would die, and sometimes not start again until the van cooled down. Sometimes it would start right back up. Then finally one day, it didn't.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:00 PM
bdunegan
Amateur

mine has the 3.3 v-6, so dist cap is out. just has coil pack instead. did change fuel pump, and seemed to help, but seems to cut out now only between 45 and 60mph. below this is fine and above this is fine. seems to do it more in this range as you are accelerating. idles smooth. no codes showing. any more ideas???[]

Old 10-05-2006, 05:30 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

On my 91 gc with 3.3l my crank position sensor would cause the motor to cut out. Under acceleration the motor would shift in the motor mounts enough (original mounts with 230k on them) that a short in the CPS harness would flex enough to cause it to cut out. The harness on that ran through the Right side mount. If the motor will start and idle, try wiggling the various harnesses and wires systematically and see if that will locate a problem. Good Luck

Old 10-07-2006, 08:23 PM
54telluride

I had a similar issue with my 97 3.0 and it turned out to be the coil. Consider replacing it.
Good Luck

Old 10-08-2006, 02:25 PM
bdunegan
Amateur

still not figured out yet, however we locked it out of overdrive and are now just driving reg transmission. no overdrive. when it is in overdrive, it doesnt seem to have enough power to pull itself without cutting out badly, and now ever once in a while, it backfires. did check injectors, and they all checked out fine. keep posting ideas, and maybe we will figure it out together!!!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:13 AM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Backfire and running poorly makes me think about EGR valve too. That should give you code 32 though.

Quick Reply: 97 caravan cutting out badly!!