Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission maintenance advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Granz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission maintenance advice

Hey everyone... I am new to the forums and seek your advice on a 1996 Dodge Caravan that I just got.

I have been checking out information on the net about the Caravan problem wise and keep coming across that the transmissions are weak in these vechiles. I pretty much figured this upon getting the van since Dodge has been so famous for this for many years now in their minivans. The van is on its orginal tranny and has 150k on it and seems to be just fine. The van that I got is a 3.0 and I seen many suggestions on changing the transmission fluid often. Like every 20k. I see some people saying they have gotten well over 200k on theirs by doing this religiously. Do you guys suggest this approach as a preventative measure? I have had others tell me not to do it that often too. What do you guys think? I need your input...

Old 10-05-2006, 01:48 PM
ASH
Veteran
Default RE: Transmission maintenance advice

Concerning the fluid, extended periods of high temperature is what ruins the fluid and thus the inner parts of the transmission. Unless you have a transmission temperature guage, you can't monitor the temperature. If you tow with the van, you definately should have a cooler installed and change the fluid every 20K miles or so. Otherwise, pull the dipstick and check the color of the fluid. If it starts turning dark, then you should change it. You might want to buy a quart of new fluid, so you can compare the difference in color of new fluid versus what is in the van. But yes, change the fluid on a regular interval, it does get contaminated and it does break down.

One other thing that happens to the transmission is a pin in the differential gears can slip out and either wear a hole in the transmission case or it will fly out and knock a hole in the case. I had a mechanic install a kit that will prevent this from happening. It takes a few hours of labor, but I felt it was a good investment in preventative maintenance.

I bought my Caravan with 90K miles on it. I now have over 150K miles. The fluid and filter was changed at least once, maybe twice since I owned it. Keep an eye on the fluid color and level. You hear a lot of stories about the transmissions being bad, but part of that is because there are a lot of these vans on the road and problems do occur. I've maintened my vehicles and they have given me many miles of fairly trouble-free use.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:07 AM
greaseangel
Professional

I have a 97 3.0 with almost 220K miles on the original tranny. I change the fluid and filter about every 30-40K, depending on how the fluid looks. I have never flushed the tranny, my Chrysler mechanic father-in-law said not to. I'm either just really lucky, or I'm doing something right maintenance-wise.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:07 AM
exmaxima

Is that "kit" something that a backyard mechanic could do? I have pulled engines and replaced heads/waterpumps/clutches, etc but never took apart a transmission. Can this kit be installed at the pan or do you need to separate the trans from the engine (ouch!)?

Matthew
'97 GC 3.3L

Old 10-06-2006, 10:21 PM
webbee
Professional

I have not been into this transmission. I've read that the diff pin kit can be installed with out taking the tranny out, but it's tight. Would I try it? Sure why not? If I had the fluid out to change, I would take a look and see if it can be done. I really think the best way is to remove the tranny and rebuild it as well as fixing the pin. Another way would be to buy a working used unit and rebuild it. Some guys just weld the pin in, as has been stated.

Here are three posts on other forums that you might find interesting:

Minivan Four-Speed Automatic Transmission Issues

Snapdragon's Gallery

The differential.

A big THANK YOU! to all who have contributed this information. I am just passing their links along.

ATF+3 has to be changed much more frequently then ATF+4. (NEVER USE ANY OTHER FLUID THAN ATF+4)
ATF+3 is a 15-30K sometime change, depending on severity of service. DC states that +4 should be changed with the same frequency as ATF+3. Doing an oil analysis would tell the tail, as far as +4 is concerned.
The A604 tranny is a crap shoot! There are people who have changed the fluid every 15K and the tranny lunched around 75K, anyway. Others have been less careful and get above 150K. As I said...a crap shoot.
The best third gen preventative things to do are:
Installing the largest stacked plate cooler you can fit in the space. I think mines a B&M.
Switching to ATF+4 and doing a double change of fluid with-in 3K of each change. You will only be changing the filter with the first fluid change.
Using a reusable gasket instead of RTV on the pan/tranny mating surface. NAPA's filter kit comes with gasket and o-ring. $tealer has a replaceable one.
Add a drain plug to the tranny pan to make fluid removal easy, so it inspires you to do it more often.
Driving gently and never spinning the wheels, especially in the snow/ice. No jack rabbit starts. No burn-outs.
Saving up for a DC rebuilt tranny, so when yours craps, you have the cash to remedy the problem. Possibly over $3K for the $stealer$hip to swap their rebuilt in, I've read.
Rebuilding one yourself and replacing all the parts with updated seals, parts, Kevlar clutches, updated spiders, diff pin fix, etc.

The A604 can be made to last, it just costs money. How long your going to keep the van is probably the determining factor.

Good luck with your van!
Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:00 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

You don't have to worry about the pin coming out if you live somewhere it doesn't snow. I know techs down south and they have never seen a diff pin come out. The problem is that people get the vans stuck in the snow and spin the tires excessively to get out, the spider gears are robbed of oil during this process and seize to the pin. After that the pin shears off the roll pin that holds it into the case. Meanwhile the gears are still froze to the pin and break free of the pin sooner or later and the pin comes flying out. Personally I haven't seen one in a long time, the newer vans have a sealed differential to keep the oil inside the diff so the gears aren't starved for lube. You can install the clips to keep the pin from coming out, but you have to take the transmission out. The diff cover is between the case and the K frame. You can't access all of the bolts with the transmission in the vehicle. If somebody has they must have tiny hands, its very tight up there.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Granz

Thanks for all the posts. I have a lot more knowledge on this now. And no I won't be doing a burn outs or anything like that. I am 37 years old and know the van is old and needs to be treated as such. The van was given to me for free and has a 154 k on it. I think it is probably the 3 speed transmission. But it is at the shop right now getting a full brake job and break lines replaced so I can't check until monday. Please be a 3 speed!

Old 10-07-2006, 12:10 PM
floorslayer1
Veteran

Brandon, I actually did mine in place the third time on my 91. Removed the k-frame and loosened the front motor mount and the whole motor tranny assembly can be rolled down in back enough to work on it. It is tight quarters, but it can be done. That time I JBWelded the hole the pin had caused in the case, welded the pin in andput in the new assembly. Time savings ???? My trannies now usually involve a bottle of vodka, so who's watching the time . I live in very rural upstate NY and occasional spinning is an unavoidable event.
By the way... any of the ones I repaired and welded the pin in , never had THAT problem again

Old 10-07-2006, 07:26 PM
brandoncrone
Veteran

The 91 vans are a lot easier than the newer body styles. The newer vans have the giant aluminum K frame, not as open as on the old vans. I live in the adirondacks, so getting stuck is almost a guarantee at some point during the winter. The problem is the people to try to get unstuck at 60mph wheel speed.

Don't get excited about the 3 speed, Ive seen the pin come through those ones too, not as often but it has happened.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:40 AM
jpistos

Hello every one, I am also new to the Dodge owners forum. My dad just bought a new van and he gave me his old 1996 Dodge Caravan 3.8 L A604 Trans to haul the family around. Some tranny history:
1st tranny was replaced at 37k (also flex plate, the planetary gear assembly broke)
2nd tranny was replace at 86k (also replaced flex plate, this tranny was bucking)
3rd tranny is still going and has been serviced at +55k,+24k,+33k add’l miles, most recently by me.

I used Valvoline +4 ATF and an autoparts store filter kit w/ gasket (filter came w/ o-ring and matched the one installed). Fluid was dark and pan had about ¼” or more of sludge in the bottom. Magnet was covered w/ sludge and some very fine metal “filings”, but no big pieces. I changed the filter and fluid, drove for 5 miles and dropped the pan again, used almost 8 qrts total.

Just before AT fluid change, the trans would sometimes not shift into gear between 1st and 2nd and the engine would rev. After fluid change, that problem has gone away, but sometimes when coming to a stop the trans downshifts w/ a bump. This happens maybe once a day over 35-40 miles of city/hwy driving.

What could be the cause for both problems and is there anything I can do about it? I plan on changing the AT fluid and filter very often 15k or yearly and driving like granny. How do I add a drain plug? What does a tranny swap out run these days? The rest of the car is in good shape, no rust, so I am wanting to keep it for awhile.
Thanks for your help. BTW those photos of the tranny repair posted by webbee are amazing. Looks like tranny repairs are not exactly a shade tree project!

Quick Reply: Transmission maintenance advice