Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1998 Caravan 3.8L Starter

Old 10-07-2006, 06:33 PM
jafo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Caravan 3.8L Starter

Have a 98 Grand Caravan need to remove starter. Can't get top bolt off. Can see it, but I don't have a wrench I can get on it AND turn it. Getting the wrench on it okay..but no way to turn it..is there a recommended wrench or tool set to make this easier..I'm also reading that there might actually be 3 bolts to get this guy out..?

Reason is, when going to start car sometimes, you turn the key, just get a click..try it a couple times..starts up no problem..no obvious sign of alternator or battery problem..could it be the solenoid or solenoid contacts? Is the solenoid connection just a plug-in?

Old 10-07-2006, 07:22 PM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: 1998 Caravan 3.8L Starter

15mm socket, extension and ratchet. You can access the top bolt from the top of the engine compartment. You would have to remove the air intake housing first. You can get the bolt the same way from underneath, just more difficult. Your 3.8L has only 2 bolts holding the starter on. The 3.0L has 3 bolts.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:29 PM
jafo

Could you be a little more specific on the extension and rachet type or where I could get one..sorry to be a noob..

Old 10-08-2006, 02:42 AM
webbee
Professional

Here's some interesting articles about replacing the solenoid contacts/etc on the Nippondenso starter that's used in DC minivans. I've never done any biz with Nations Auto Electric, so don't take this as an endorsement. Their info's pretty good on rebuilding the solenoid. I buy from a starter rebuild shop locally.

Starter Maintenance

Nippondenso Starter Parts & Repair Kits

To determine what length of extension to buy, measure the distance with a steel tape and then get an extension/s that will fit.
I got a set of wobbly extensions from Harbor Freight that I really like. Wobbles are better than standard because they allow a 16* tilt of the extension within the socket. Sometimes it's just enough movement. They are more ridged than a swivel and won't lock up.
Sears Craftsman also has regular extensions, in sets and by the each, as do all the box stores. For the home mechanic it's hard to beat Craftsman tools. Shop for a tool box set on sale.
Extensions are a lot like shop clamps...do you ever really have enough?

A good tool, you buy once. A cheap tool, you buy again and again and...

As always, good luck with your project!

Old 10-09-2006, 02:36 AM
epic_soundz69

I was having the same exact problem with my van, only mine cut out completely,
All i did was replace the starter and it worked again like nothing had ever happened

Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 AM
dianer121968

Originally Posted by brandoncrone
15mm socket, extension and ratchet. You can access the top bolt from the top of the engine compartment. You would have to remove the air intake housing first. You can get the bolt the same way from underneath, just more difficult. Your 3.8L has only 2 bolts holding the starter on. The 3.0L has 3 bolts.
Thanks so much. knowing what size socket/wrench helped greatly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Caravan 3.8L Starter