Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Noise From Serpentine Belt

Old 10-19-2006, 08:44 PM
mickinirvine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise From Serpentine Belt

I have a 96 Caravan, and have been battling what I have assumed is an issue with the serpentine belt. I have begun to doubt this diagnosis recently, however. Here's what I know:

1) It sounds like a constant squeal, but increases when I accelerate.

2) When I remove the belt, the sound is gone. After I put the belt back on, it is quiet for about a day, then the squeal returns.

Could the problem be with the tensioner or with the alternator? Suggestions?

Old 10-20-2006, 09:22 AM
BNtune
Rookie
Default RE: Noise From Serpentine Belt

First try using some Ajax cleaner,powder form. This work's to stop the squelling. Any other noise could be bearings.
Some take the belt off and deglaze the smooth side along with the smooth sides of pulleys.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Goofy173
Rookie
Default RE: Noise From Serpentine Belt

If it's chirping then its because a pulley is out of alignment with the others. Usually this is because the tensioner is going bad. It starts to bend and throws off the alignment. Also, with some Ford trucks they've had better luck with replacing the belt with the OEM belt or a Goodyear Gatorback. They claim the Gates belts have problems with squealing.

I use tri-flow oil on mine but I don't suggest it for anyone else as it can throw the belt off of the tensioner if it's bent.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:38 PM
stlrj
Amateur

Thank God for the Search feature!

My serpentine belt noise was driving me crazy. I tried spraying WD40 and Windex that made it go away for a few seconds but nothing like Comet! After doing a search that hinted on Ajax, I tried sprinkling Comet on a plastic teaspoon and on to the idler pulley with the engine running and the chirping disappeared like magic. I even took it on a 15min test drive and still no noise.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by stlrj; 10-25-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 AM
ronditri

I had a squeal on my 5.2 dakota driving me crazy. Changed my tensioner and pulley, idler pulley, new belt and still squealing. Threw a little baking soda on it.....poof....squeal GONE . I'll let you know how long it lasts.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:13 PM
bobeast

Originally Posted by stlrj
Thank God for the Search feature!

My serpentine belt noise was driving me crazy. I tried spraying WD40 and Windex that made it go away for a few seconds but nothing like Comet! After doing a search that hinted on Ajax, I tried sprinkling Comet on a plastic teaspoon and on to the idler pulley with the engine running and the chirping disappeared like magic. I even took it on a 15min test drive and still no noise.

Cheers,

Joe
That's a lot like morphine. It doesn't really fix the problem, it just makes it so you don't care about it.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:12 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Where you having the same problem or you just want to post your view. Because this post is 9 years ago. If you have having a problem with your vehicle then start a new post. Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise From Serpentine Belt