Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

cooling fans not turning on????

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 10:44 PM
toolfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling fans not turning on????

I have a 98 grand caravan 3.3 had to replace the upper & lower hoses & t-stat -- cooling fans not working(turning on w or w/out ac) I have no power at the fans(jumped power and they do work) checked all fuses all good. temp gauge was almost to the red line "H" still no fans. ? where is the cooling fan relay? (not in the owners man or the repair man)Upper hose did burst on the freeway--when turning on AC fan still no worky. Don't want to take to a dealer but all my troubleshooting skills have been used(I have lots of exp. in the 12v ind)ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY, VERY APPRECIATED. Thank you in advance. Mike

Old 02-21-2005, 11:42 AM
nmlhaus
Default RE: cooling fans not turning on????

Not certain about 98, but on my 94, there is a bank of relays, including a highfan and low fan relay under a black plastic cover in the engine compartment, on the left (driver's) side of the compartment. the cover unsnaps, and there is a listing on the inside of the cover for all the relays there (plus about a half dozen fuses). Hope this helps. also, I believe all the relays are the same part number, and can be swapped for troubleshooting.

Old 02-21-2005, 01:04 PM
toolfan

I went through that relay/fuse box already all was ok, nothing labeled in there about cooling fan relay only AC clutch

Old 02-21-2005, 10:20 PM
toolfan

Thanks but I had to get repaired FAST after about 4-5 hours of searching w/no luck I had to take it in. It was the cooling fan relay I guess it is up around the brake booster somewhere, not in a relay cluster. Hope this may help anyone in the future. (1.5 hrs labor)

Old 04-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Jesusluvsu

I have the same problem with my '93 3.3. I have thought of stright wiring the fan, but donot have a diagram. will check the relays on the drivers side.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:59 PM
galacticgames

I too had the same problem with the fans not coming on and found that the relay was bad.

The hard part was to find the darn thing as it wasn't in the usual place to find it.

But alas I have found it mine is a 2000 caravan so probably 96 and up are the same.

Any ways it is located under the driver's side headlamp you have to remove the lamp to gain access before warn that this little puppy can only be purchased at a Dodge dealer as it is made for them and no auto parts store carries these as I have looked all over for this. Dodge wants it for $95.00 yes that much.

For now until I can find either a used one from a junk yard or save up to get one, mine is rigged up with a 20 amp switch under the steering wheel simply flip the switch and walla you have fans on.

Due note that it is not a good idea to run them long. Only run them if you believe you are going to be sitting long idling at a light or sitting in parking lot for a long period of time.

These switches cost me only $2.oo at wally world (aka. wal-mart)

I've gone through 5 or 6 of them in one year.

Also no drilling needed to mount the switch as there is already a screw there that holds the plastic mold of the panel in and it works fine

Old 10-24-2006, 09:06 AM
BNtune
Rookie

But alas I have found it mine is a 2000 caravan so probably 96 and up are the same.

Any ways it is located under the driver's side headlamp you have to remove the lamp to gain access before warn that this little puppy can only be purchased at a Dodge dealer as it is made for them and no auto parts store carries these as I have looked all over for this. Dodge wants it for $95.00 yes that much.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...lant+Fan+Relay
$45.89

Quick Reply: cooling fans not turning on????