Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Head job

Old 10-27-2006, 08:51 AM
BNtune
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head job

Do to a #4 misfire and low compresson on #4 the head have come off.
Bad vavle,ex. on that cyl for sure. What a job just to take heads off[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Now that I can see the pistons I find it interesting that I can move the piston side to side or front to back as the Eng. sets. Can even see the top piston rings.
Not sure if it has worn or they do have lots of clearence. Cyl to piston.
This is a 147K motor.[sm=feedback.gif]
I have read where some say,replace head bolts.
The manual says to reinstall head bolt back in same hole.
On my GM 6.5 turbo the head bolts are torque to yeild botls and new new head bolt.
Is this true with the 3.0?

Old 10-27-2006, 01:15 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: Head job

My best answer is ... I don't know.The Haynes manual for 84's to 95's give a torque spec. of 70 ft lbs and don't mention anything about a tightening sequence that makes me think they are torque to yield.I would feel safer using new bolts myself.
About the pistons,the clearance for pistons to cylinder is .001-.002 so if yours can move any at all I would say they are worn beyond limits.However,the engine does have 147,000 miles so this is to be expected.Reboring and refitting new pistons isn't going to be cheap so unless you are going to keep the van for a lot more miles and it's in really good shape,I would fix only what's needed to return it to service.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:02 AM
BNtune
Rookie

Should be running today. Top end back together and timing related parts today. I can see why one would want to R&R the timing belt and pulley. Water pump. Interesting that I see these parts have not needed to be replaced.
Looks like there's more clearence on Cyl wall at bottom than top dead center. The Cyl. wall still had the cross hatch on them.
Good ideal to chase tap the threads in the Alum. after the cleaning.
That EGR sure can make a mess of the intake[sm=interesting.gif]

Old 10-29-2006, 08:29 AM
BNtune
Rookie

All is well and running[sm=deal.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Seeing how this is my first Dodge, I'm not sure how a 3.0 acts when running. The power is up than before. These motors seem to have a good low RPM toruqe and moves the Caravan quite well. The Eng. is a little rough at idle,would only think it would be much smoother. I'll relate it to a small block with a mild cam. Off idle it is smoother. It still has a little shake that can be felt when at idle and in drive while not moving. This is how it was before but much more pronouced.
On the doller list.
Parts NAPA
Head gasket kit $121.51
Serpt. tensioner $70.80 old was was stuck,cut belt to remove
Serp. belt $31.33
T belt component $121.51 Could of gotten by with just a belt.
Water pump $38.54 A must!
Valve regrind,psi test and Surface $239.50
Tear down 10 hrs.
Running 16 Hrs.
Wounder What Dealer Cost would be [sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 10-30-2006, 08:42 AM
BNtune
Rookie

Well, all is not good.
The rough idle is still there and the dreaded code 43 came back on. Have'nt checked to see what cly.# it is though will probley point back to #4.
So I'm still facing the same problem only quite a bit doller shorter[sm=boohoo.gif]
Well the heads needed done but more has to be done yet.
Sad story is this GC replaced a very good Safari van that was in a wreck and the insurance money at the time was all I had to work with. Paid $3k for the GC and now have $1300 in repairs.
Still not running right,meaning at idle. It has good power and torque and drives great. Knowing somwthing is still not right is a uneazy feeling.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head job