Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'97 Grand Caravan Sport - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 04:28 AM
theghost69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Grand Caravan Sport - Help Please

Hello
I am having some problems with my van. It is backfiring sputtering hesitating and at times will die. When it dies I have to wait a few before it will start up. Now, I am getting a code. It is : Code 52 (I think) Right rear running lean. This is the only code that is in there. At one point I was getting the upstream o2 sensor code but since I replaced it, it has not came back. I have replaced the fuel filter, O2 sensor, oil change and air filter change. This is driving me up the wall. There for a while it was only doing it when it was warm but now it seems to be doing it all the time. I hope someone in here has some good fixes for this.

Thanks
Theghost69

Old 11-01-2006, 08:33 AM
BNtune
Rookie
Default RE: '97 Grand Caravan Sport - Help Please

<LI>Code 51-Fuel system lean-a lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor.

<LI>Code 52-Fuel system rich-a rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally lean correction factor.

Test your fuel rail pressure. This could of been a fluke after the filter change. Clear code and see if it comes back.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:12 PM
theghost69

It was actually a code 51. I rechecked it. I also had the code cleared after the fuel filter change and after the O2 sensor change. It has come back up. I have gotten a fuel pressure tester and I am getting ready to check it. Will let you know what I get.
Thanks for the help so far.

Thanks
Theghost69

Old 11-02-2006, 06:05 AM
theghost69

Didn't get a chance to check the fuel pressure but I am still looking for any other ideas as to what might be wrong.

Thanks,
Theghost69

Old 11-04-2006, 03:11 AM
theghost69

I am still looking for some help.

I check the fuel pressure and it took me driving it around for a few before it started acting up. I check while it was cold and the pressure was fine right around 50 psi. Now, once it got hot and I checked it, it was barely making 20 psi.
Is this a definite fuel pump problem or could it be a relay?? I just wanted to see if there was any opinions before I spend 200 bucks on a fuel pump and it be a relay, since I am sure it is much cheaper.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Theghost69

Quick Reply: '97 Grand Caravan Sport - Help Please