Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

94 Dodge Caravan 3.3 - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:58 PM
autobyte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Dodge Caravan 3.3 - HELP!

Hello,

It started about a month and a half ago when my fuel pump started to give me problems. When I turned the key I could not hear the fuel pump, but it was intermittently. I would have to turn the key a few times before I could hear the fuel pump and start the car. Then about 1-2 weeks later it stopped working. I tested the relay and fuse and they are fine. I get current at the relay and fuse. I dropped the gas tank and pulled the fuel pump. The fuel pump works fine when I connect it to the battery. But when I check the wires going to the fuel pump I only get current on the fuel gage sensor. I don’t know what else to try.

I need to fix it soon ‘cause the van is outside and the weather is getting worse. It’s hard to work on it in the snow.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:45 PM
computerpulse
Default RE: 94 Dodge Caravan 3.3 - HELP!

Sounds to me like your ignition may be malfunctioning otherwise it sounds like just the fuel pump.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:44 AM
autobyte

I checked the relay again and it looks like it is not getting a signal to activate the fuel pump when I turn the key. (The other relay gets a signal for a split of a second to trip it). So it might be the ignition. I do not have Torx L-key wrench to remove the steering column shroud. I will get a set this week and see what I find in there. I’ve never messed with the ignition before, is there anything in particular to look out for?
Also is the fuel pump running constantly? I do not remember hearing the fuel pump after starting the car.

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:48 PM
89Daytona
Veteran

When the van is running the fuel pump should be running all the time, but the engine has to be running. Usually you can't hear the fuel pump from inside the car with the vehicle running, you have to get pretty close to gastank under the car to hear it when the vehicle is idling.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:16 PM
autobyte
Default RE: 94 Dodge Caravan 3.3 - Fuel Pump HELP!

I just replaced the ignition switch and that did not fix it. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:39 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: 94 Dodge Caravan 3.3 - Fuel Pump HELP!

When a fuel pump goes bad it's usually the brushes in the motor.Sometimes you can bang on the fuel tank and jar the brushes into contact with the commutator and the pump will run,for awhile.Try this and if the pump starts working expect to replace the fuel pump.Don't try to ignore the original problem,it WILL be back.

Quick Reply: 94 Dodge Caravan 3.3 - HELP!