Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

on going caravan fuel promblom. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 AM
perry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on going caravan fuel promblom. NEED HELP

1994 dodge caravan 3.3L. what would cause the fuel pump to get intermidiate power only at start up??. when the van starts it will run fine all day. this has happen 4 times within the last 4 months. the van has been starting and running fine for the last month. my wife got stranded a week ago when the fuel pump would not turn on. i had it towed home and pulled the fuel pump out of the tank for the 5th time. fuel pump tested ok. put it all back together and now the van will start and run fine. i hooked up a test light to the pump wire harness with the wire unplugged. it seems i am getting intermidiate power to the fuel pump plug. when it died last time i was getting the intermidiate 3 seconds of power back to pump, but the pump would still not kick on. thats why i had it towed and pulled the tank again. all symptoms lead to a bad fuel pump. but when it starts i could drive acrosss state without any hesitation. the promblom acures only at start up. in the past i have worked in 3 different service garage's growing up over a 12 year span , and worked with alot of great mechanics that showed me the ropes. i could tear down the van and put it back together with no promblom, but this fuel promblom has me stumped. maybe im just over thinkin here..

Old 11-14-2006, 10:47 PM
ogmudbone
Default RE: on going caravan fuel promblom. NEED HELP

Hello Perry,
I'm having a very similiar problem as you are. Does your fuel pump relay start clicking very rapidly just before it will start? My 94 Dodge Ram Van will not start, but if I leave the key in the "on" position anywhere from 5 to 45 mins the relay starts clicking then when it's finished clicking, it starts up and runs perfectly. If I leave the engine cool down, like sitting over night, it won't start again unless I leave the key on again. I can tell you that replacing the fuel pump relay, oil pressure switch and the ignition switch will NOT fix anything. Please post back if you find a fix, I can't find one anywhere on the net. I, and hundreds of others would appreciate that very, very much. Sorry not much help here bro, best of luck with your van!
Take care and be well,
Jerry

Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 AM
perry

update: i have tryed smacking the tank with a rubber malet. it doesent do anything. i bench test the pump with direct power and it works every time. when i turn the key to the on position you are supposed to hear 2 clicks from the relays. but it only makes one click when it wont start. i tryed changing the relay and it does the same. if i get lucky and keep turning the key on and of untill i hear the 2 clicks then it will start. but for a hole day i tryed it and all i got was the one click from the relays. i would come out the next day turn the key on and i would hear the 2 clicks and the van would start and drive for another week or up to a month. then out of the blue it would act up again with a no start and one click from the relays.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:53 AM
BNtune
Rookie

Just a thought. Try going through all grounds that can be had. Try adding a ground near the pump.

Quick Reply: on going caravan fuel promblom. NEED HELP