Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'96 Grand Caravan doesn't like shifting when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 05:49 AM
cstilesiscool
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Grand Caravan doesn't like shifting when cold

I have a 1996 Grand Caravan with the 3.0 liter. For the past few weeks, when first driven in the morning, it doesn't want to shift out of first. After a few minutes of driving, it starts shifting just fine and I have no other problems with it. Any idea's? Fluid is where it needs to be and I've never had an automatic transmission do this before. Any help would be awesome. Thanks..

Old 11-17-2006, 09:59 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran
Default RE: '96 Grand Caravan doesn't like shifting when cold

Sounds like the governor is sticking. If you;ve never been inside an automatic transmission, then this is not for you. Only takes about 2 hours to replace the governor. Try starting out in manual 1st and after you get going shifting into manual 2nd to see if it will shift that way.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:54 PM
cstilesiscool

I'll give it a try when I go out this morning. If it does work your way, am I causing damage to the tranny with this problem or can I fix it at my conveniance?

Old 11-19-2006, 12:37 PM
greaseangel
Professional

Mine does the same thing, so I'm anxious to hear this response too. But, I've found mine will run smoothly if I start the van and let it run until it gets to operating temp before I try to drive it. Plus that gives the heater time to make it nice and cozy inside

Quick Reply: '96 Grand Caravan doesn't like shifting when cold